Only in Naples by: Katherine Wilson

Only in Naples: Lessons in Food and Famiglia from My Italian Mother-in-Law is both a memoir and a cookbook.

Only in Naples is not what I expected. I thought that the novel, cover, and description hinted a more food related memoir. However, this novel mainly focused on Katherine Wilson's journey from America to Naples, Italy. She goes from living with her wealthy family in America to having an internship at the U.S. Consulate in Naples, Italy. Which she obtained thanks to her family's connections.

The rest of the novel focuses on Katherine Wilson's time in Naples. How she met her future mother-in-law, her husband, and how her life changed in ways she never thought it would.

That being said, I would have given Only in Naples a five star rating if the recipes weren't so . The novel was also rather slow-paced, leaving me at times inpatient and wondering when the novel would end. Lastly, I felt that the novel also jumped around a lot.

In the end, this novel was just not it for me.

Expected Publication:

April 19th 2016

Rating:

★★

Summary from Goodreads:

In the tradition of M. F. K. Fisher and Peter Mayle, this enchantingly warm and witty memoir follows American-born Katherine Wilson on her adventures abroad, where a three-month rite of passage in Naples turns into a permanent embrace of this boisterous city on the Mediterranean. It is all thanks to a surprising romance, a new passion for food, and a spirited woman who will become her mother-in-law—and teach her to laugh, to seize joy, and to love.

Special Thanks:

ARC was kindly provided by publisher, Random House Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

About The Author:

KATHERINE WILSON was born and raised in Washington, D.C. She graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton University, where she studied with Toni Morrison and Peter Sellars. She has lived in Italy for the past nineteen years, working in television, film, and theater. Most recently, she acted in Giuseppe Tornatore's The Best Offer, with Geoffrey Rush and Donald Sutherland. She lives in Rome with her husband and two children.