Sadie by Courtney Summers

Sadie

by Courtney Summers

Published by Wednesday Books

Publication Date: September 4th, 2018

Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Suspense

Format: eARC

Source: Kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Summary from Goodreads:

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meagre clues to find him.

When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Buy Links:

Amazon│Barnes & Noble│Indigo

_____________________________

Review:

Sadie is a unique story focusing on a young woman who, once finding out that her sister has not only been taken from her but murdered, has her mind set on revenge. Out for blood, Sadie will stop at nothing to get her hands on Mattie's murderer.

This is the first Courney Summers' book I've read and I have to say that Summers knows what she is doing. By taking surprisingly bold risks, she tackles heavy issues in a way that leaves you not only thinking about the story or it's contents but also the words she has written. Honestly, it was a bit overwhelming to be reading such a emotional, hard-hitting, story. It makes you feel so many emotions and demands your utmost attention. It will move you in a way that not many authors are able to accomplish.

Sadie was well-written, emotional, dark, gripping, disturbing. It was a tough book to go through but one that, I can not stress enough, has to be read. The pace was rather slow in the beginning but ended up building momentum as the story progressed. I enjoyed the whole podcast format, which has become increasingly popular with authors and readers alike. Alternating between the podcast episodes and Sadie's voice worked well in this context, it helped build up the tension and create an atmosphere that leaves readers sitting on the edge of there seat. Macmillan has released a podcast that follows the novel every Wednesday, if you want to check that out I will be leaving the link to the podcast above.

Sadie was beyond-a-doubt my favourite character to read. Though she may have a dark past and intrusively dark thoughts, she is able to show how good of character she truly is. Having gone through what she has, Sadie grows up faster than she should. I felt the most for her and Mattie throughout the story and couldn't help but wish their story could have gone differently. By ending the story the way she did, Summers made Sadie's story feel that much more real.

This was truly an amazingly moving, and disturbing, book to read about the strong bonds of sisterhood, the responsibilities that are placed on children way too young, facing loss, revenge, and hope. Overall, Sadie is a book that simply must be read. Seriously, pick it up. With that being said, sensitive readers should take into account the trigger warnings mentioned below and know their limitations. 

TRIGGER WARNING: This story does contain child abuse, pedophilia, sexual assault, drug and alcohol abuse, and graphic violence. 

Rating:

★★★★★

About The Author:
Courtney Summers lives and writes in Canada. She is the author of What Goes Around, This is Not a Test, Fall for Anything, Some Girls Are, Cracked Up to Be, Please Remain Calm, and All the Rage.

 She is the author of What Goes Around, This is Not a Test, Fall for Anything, Some Girls Are, Cracked Up to Be, Please Remain Calm, and All the Rage