The Midnight Dance by Nikki Katz

The Midnight Dance

by Nikki Katz

Published by Swoon Reads on October 17, 2017
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Suspense
Pages: 320
Format: Physical ARC
Source: Kindly provided by Raincoast Books in exchange for an honest review

Summary from Goodreads: 

When the music stops, the dance begins.

Seventeen-year-old Penny is a lead dancer at the Grande Teatro, a finishing school where she and eleven other young women are training to become the finest ballerinas in Italy. Tucked deep into the woods, the school is overseen by the mysterious and handsome young Master who keeps the girls ensconced in the estate – and in the only life Penny has never known.

But when flashes of memories, memories of a life very different from the one she thinks she's been leading, start to appear, Penny begins to question the Grand Teatro and the motivations of the Master. With a kind and attractive kitchen boy, Cricket, at her side, Penny vows to escape the confines of her school and the strict rules that dictate every step she takes. But at every turn, the Master finds a way to stop her, and Penny must find a way to escape the school and uncover the secrets of her past before it's too late.

Buy Links:Amazon│Barnes & Noble│Indigo

Review:
The Midnight Dance centres around a world hidden in a forest and everything beautiful about ballet. 

Penny has the privilege of attending a prestigious ballet academy, thanks to the mysterious Master. Since the academy is hidden away in the forest, she lives a rather simple life. As a member of the elite twelve dancers, Penny must perform as the Master wishes and must never leave the estate. However, when Penny starts to forget lengthy periods of time and begins to have memories that don't coincide with what she was told was her life, she begins to question everything. Teaming up with the handsome kitchen boy, Cricket, she begins to unravel everything. 

If you don't know by now, I am an absolute sucker for historical fiction (and romance). Reading a book that is both a blend of historical fiction and fantasy just makes things so much more entertaining. With that being said, I dived into this book like there was no tomorrow. I just kept reading. Katz's writing was so creative and whimsical. It makes you feel like you are a participate in all the madness, not merely an observer. Everything was dramatic and beautifully written. 

It was a creepy and thrilling and such a fun book to read. However, my rating for the book ended up slightly going down. the reason behind my rating is because it became rather repetitive. I simply felt like it was slowly building up to something only to have it intensify within the last 100 pages of the book. Besides that, this was such an enjoyable book to read. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to young adults and those who love unique plots. So take the time to be swept away by The Midnight Dance.

Rating:
★★★★

About The Author:Nikki Katz is a managing editor and ex-rocket scientist living in sunny San Diego with her husband and three children. With a BS in aerospace engineering, Nikki first put her writing skills to use publishing four nonfiction books in the puzzle and game genre. She moved on to writing young adult fiction, her favorite activity. Other favorite pastimes include chauffeuring her kids around town, reading fantasy and sci-fi, baking yummy desserts, watching Reality TV, and scrolling social media feeds. The Midnight Dance is her debut novel.

 The Midnight Dance is her debut novel