CHAPTER 9

‘I had a great time!’ sighed Jeremy as he came walking in.

We had decided to eat at a restaurant for a change and so we arrived home later than expected. It was silence in the living room because Go Mi Nam was still out, his care wasn’t there, and Hwang Tae Kyung was busy writing songs in his room, or at least it looked like that.

            ‘Me too. Let’s do this again!’ I said as I walked towards the kitchen.

            ‘I am going to watch television!’ shouted Jeremy as he jumped on the couch and put on some lame cartoon that no one liked. But he did, so just let him be.

            Jong Shi Wing followed me into the kitchen and sat down on one of the chairs in front of me. I heated up some water in the mean time, my head filled with the memories of today. It had been a long time since I had done something this fun.

            ‘Do you want some tea?’ I asked.

He nodded and I poured some hot water into a tea cup and made the tea ready for drinking. I put it down in front of him and smiled.

            ‘Thank you.’ he mumbled.

            ‘No problem! I hope you enjoyed yourself today.’

            ‘I did.’ he said as he carefully took a sip of his tea. It probably was still really hot so I hoped he wouldn’t burn his mouth. For some reason he quite resembled Go Mi Nyu when she was with us. Always nervous, always eyes pointed to the ground and avoiding getting touched. But thinking about that made my heart ache and I immediately shook that idea off and focused myself on the cup of tea that was standing in front of me.

            We finished our tea in silence, but I wouldn’t call it a unpleasant or awkward silence, just...quietness.

            ‘Thanks for the tea.’ he mumbled as he put down his cup and bowed his head slightly.

            ‘No problem, it’s fun to drink tea together, isn’t it?’

He nodded with a little smile on his face.

            ‘It is.’

I took the cups from the table and started cleaning them while I hummed a song whose lyrics were unknown to me. I only knew the melody because I had heard it on the radio a couple of times. It was a sticky song that wouldn’t get out of your mind even if you sang another song for a thousand times. You could call it annoying, yes.

            Suddenly I heard a soft voice, singing the unknown lyrics of the song. It was like a soft whispering flying on the breathing of the house and the voices coming from the television. It was soft, yet so loud.

            ‘I just felt like I knew it all. I just tried an push it all away. Every time I got too much to recall, I’m holding back my tears.’

            I turned around in surprise and looked at his moving lips which softly whispered the lyrics. I stopped humming and so he stopped singing. His voice was high and soft but so clear and beautiful to listen to.

            ‘You really can sing...’ I whispered.

His cheeks turned red and he looked at the ground with an embarrassed look on his face. He probably lost control of his own musical genes. He just started singing without him actually wanting to. I had that feeling sometimes too, just singing without feeling an urge or forcing it. You sing, unnoticed by yourself.