1: Beginning

The sweet summer air fills classroom 204 in a heady mixture of daises and misty sunlight, flowing from the glass-plated windows in the back, and I take my usual seat beside the ever present and bouncy blond, Alarja Vega. We've been best friends our whole lives, something I am lucky to say is true, including the lunchbox and crayon days. I can't imagine being a teenager these days without her. All the kids today get tattoos and stay drunk. I'm glad to say I have a friend who isn't like that, whom I can trust with my life. She smiles at me as I sit down in my seat. I haven't seen her all summer.

"Good morning, baby girl. How was your summer? Mine didn't last long enough, I can tell you that," she says, picking at her pink tipped manicured nails.

I shrug my shoulders. Summers never last forever.

"It was okay, but I didn't get to travel to France like I'd hoped for. Oh well," I mumble sarcastically, giving her a slick smile.

It's just a funny thing we like to joke about. Each summer we say we are going to travel to a certain place and then never do. We stay here in Newport, Rhode Island, wondering whenever we may leave it one day. Alarja smirks and reaches inside her sparkly bag for lip gloss. She pulls out a coral color and runs it across her full lips. With her gorgeous hair and vibrant smile, she looks like a stereotypical mermaid.

"Tahlia, baby, you never travel any summers." She coos at me.

It's true. No matter how rich I am, I never do as I please. My father makes sure of that. Sometimes, I feel like I am chained here. There is some invisible locked door here in this place and I have not yet found the key so that I may break out. I smile at her in return, knowing that she doesn't either. Suddenly the bell rings, sounding like a siren blaring down the hallway.

The rest of the class begins to fill up. It's biology & health of humans, one of many required classes, and we're about to learn about sex. I can tell because there is a very odd pair of naked dolls sat at the front of the room and a large sign discussing the reproductive organs in males and females. The normal people I see every single year begin to pile in. A blind boy named Sammy who always gets gifts from other people for being blind. One of the guys from the varsity soccer team. The stupid black haired chick who caused me to fail math last year due to her vigorous cheating that always got us caught. I remember the teacher thought I was in on her cheating fiasco, and we both always got into trouble. I was shamed faced. I hghly disapprove of any rule breaking, and cheating is no exception. Mrs. Rigdop didn't care who my daddy was one bit, though, or how well I perform in the classroom.

After the black haired cheater comes one peppy red headed cheerleader named Piper Pavoli who is practically my arch enemy, credit to nothing at all but her ignorance and my no toleration. Lagging behind her is a small kid with ruddy brown clothes who everybody claims is Seamus the Smelly Sicko, whom I have never personally talked to but have personally smelt. And let me tell you...Yuck. After that I pay no attention. The people blur in at once, and then I finally see the teacher walk in. He's wearing a polo advertising a sport team, and a whistle dangles from his neck. Oh, please. I've never seen him teach before, but I can immediately guess how this class is going to go. He must be one of those I-think-I'll-coach-and-teach-simultaneously guys. He writes his name on the board. "Mr. Garlin." It says.

I nudge Alarja.

"Sounds like Garlic." I tell her. I don't know why it's so funny, but it is. She snickers as the teacher turns around and looks about as if he'd heard something odd. I cover Alarja's mouth and her giggles stifle. He turns back around, shaking his head in amazment, without questioning it.

"Are we all here?" asks Mr.Garlin after a few minutes.

The room is silent for a second, and then Piper struts over to him with her short black skirt and tiny tied bra top. I see some guys break their necks to watch her walk. Mr. Garlin's eyes pop out of his head when she adjusts her top, some of her left boob flopping out.