49: The Promise

I decide to fly.

Something strong bursts inside me at the sight of a limp and lifeless Harry, and my feet lift a few inches off the ground. I'm not touching the blood. I'm not touching the dancers, whose feet have fallen and gone cold. The feathers on my gown are flapping, rising me, making me the bird. I soar practically, and when I reach my love I smile, because thank God, he's smiling back at me.

"Harry, sweet Lord, what is happening? I did what she-I-I'm so confused."

His eyes blink.

He's okay.

God, he's okay.

"She's a crazy bitch, but all the crazy asses after us are working together. I can sense it. Cover me in your feathers so I can get up. We've got to get out of here. The quicker we get to Lair 172 the quicker these people wake up. C'mon, darling, we don't have all day. I know a guy's grandma who moves faster than you."

I open my arms and my feathers brilliantly-or as brilliant as black can be bold-rise before him.

"Oh, yeah? Who's the guy?" I ask.

"Don't know. Betty works on tv, but a sparky old lady like herself had to've gotten married so she has to have kids somewhere and those kids probably have kids too. And I guarantee you one of them is a boy. Toss me a few of those nice feathers, cupcake."

I toss the feathers but his tone pisses me off. Yeah, this isn't the place to get pissed off or the time, but really? Cupcake?

"Harry. What do you know that I don't?" I ask him.

He arranges the feathers on him. His body slowly unstiffens. The minute I have him the feathers, in fact, he was more mobile. The feathers. They're like...

"Magic." He whispers, as his body stands fully normal and angel/vampire/sexy-esque as it was before.

"What...what do you know? I need answers."

Harry sighs, takes me hand, and steers me the direction I came from.

"Okay, 'Because seven eight nine', '3.14.', 'To teach him a lesson', 'Because the cat-"

"I don't want those answers!"

"Well I can't tell you the ones you want here. Not now."

I look back all the guests who are frozen. I'm so confused, so afraid. I'm with Harry, but it doesn't matter right now. My fear is stronger than my strength.

"Please." I say softly.

He lifts me into his arms and we head out the dark cedar door behind a small stage. This is the way I came. We're back in the room where I put on the magic feather dress. The woman, Laberita, is taller now. But she is still here. I don't know what she expects of me, but I'm tire of playing along. Did she kill everyone for money? For this large mansion? But perhaps it is Clare, the woman she has become, who desired this. Laberita still has a part of herself. She could have become a good woman and still be alive in another's body. She chose the wrong path for herself. I don't feel bad for her.

"The doors are locked tight. No one is leaving." She says without turning around.

She's facing a large mirror. I just can't see her reflection. All I can see is fog.

"Did you kill them?" I ask.

"They're froze to death. It's the work of the masks. They can be awaken, but no one is leaving. Including the two of you. Or your blabbering pet." She hisses, and all of a sudden a curtain comes down beside us and reveals a large cage. Islan is inside, eyes closed, a single tear on his hairy cheek.