15: The Darkness Of The Mind

Big Pete's is dark inside, the only light is coming from a couple mason jars hanging overhead from the ceiling, and the temperature is freezing. Harry says the rest of the guys who usually hang out here, like Luke, are on 'important business'.

Yeah, sure.

But I'm not thinking about that. I'm thinking about only a few minutes before when he told me that he was afraid I would run. It broke my heart, and reminded me of by the shore when he told me about his mom. I still yearn to know what happend to her exactly, where any of his family is. He hasn't talked about any of them, except her. I recall his words from that night in my mind.

"She looked inside you, and saw who you were, and always believed we loved with our eyes and not our hearts. And she was lovely. Before she..."

Before she what? I know he is breaking from it, and I want to know why. Did she leave him all alone? Is that why he is worried? Does he think I'll run too, and never look back? I bet he's had to fend for himself most of his life, and that's why he's so dominate. It makes perfect sense.

Suddenly I am angry at this woman he calls a mother. I know she hurt him somehow, and he still loves her so much.

I have to ask him soon the truth of the story, but I don't know if I will today.

There's a line of pool sticks which run along on the wall. They are all different colors and lengths, but I grab a blue and silver stick that seems average size. I don't think I'll be playing, but I just want to hold it.

Harry is under the spotlight of one of the moon jars, as I think of them in my head, sitting in a brown cloth chair. His head is leaning back, as if soaking in the light, and his eyes are tightly shut.

I walk over slowly, and sit on the arm of his chair with the pool stick between my legs.

His eyes shoot open, and I lean over a little bit to look into his eyes. The vunerable look he was wearing minutes before is gone, replaced by a dark look, a hungry look.

His hand reaches around my back to touch my waist. I feel him push me toward him, and before I am even aware of it, I am straddling his lap. Harry groans as I hit his body, and tosses the pool stick to the floor.

"Oh, God. Come over here to have some fun?" He asks me, his voice husky.

I didn't, actually. I came over, because I wanted to sit down and it was the only seat in sight. Also,he looked so concetrated, and I was enjoying the view. But, what is the use explaining any of that to him?

At my silence, he adds,

"'Cause I can make you feel so good."

Tinlgles go through my body, travel all the way down to my toes at his words, but I ignore them. I'm a good girl. A good girl who isn't about to have some 'fun' with some guy she barely knows in a dark pool house when she is supposed to be spending the day with her best friend.

"No." I immediately answer.

"No I can't? Is that a challenge?" he asks me, raising his brows and smirking.

"No." I repeat.

He frowns, and gives me a scary look that makes goosebumps come up on my arms.

"No lies, Thalia. Ever." His voice scolds me like an errant child.

"I'm not lying." I tell him, breathing hard for some unknown reason.

"Admit it, Angel. I'm like the lawn mower your rich ass daddy never had to buy. While you're pushing me around, it tires you because the truth is you're wishing you could ride me instead."