2: Smoke & Sweetness

I am ninety percent sure I can hear my own heart beat through my ears. It's pounding like a noise which cannot be ignored, a roaring lion in the wild jungle. The other ten percent is telling me that I am letting my nerves get the best of me. The new kid is definitely killing my brain's motor neurons. I slowly glance up at him. His green eyes look so vivid, and they slice into me like a perfect knife cut. The corners of his mouth tilt up, and his smile promises trouble. My heart fumbles over a beat, a strange darkness hovering it as if it wishes to scream, and my breathing picks up majorly. It's been at least ten minutes, and I haven't spoken another word to him.

After he said that thing about being sex partners, I was embarrassed, so I just got out a piece of paper to write stuff down on about him like I assume we are supposed to, but I haven't even asked him any of the questions yet. The truth is, I don't know what to ask him. He kind of scares me. With all his tattoos, dark clothing, and mysterious aura I can't help but be afraid. Most of the things I assume about his life, as I have been running all possibilities through my head, probably consist of illegal and unspeakable acts.

I turn my attention to Mr.Garlin at his desk. He's staring at a computer screen as if it's a mouse he's trying to capture. I roll my eyes, and look at the naked dolls up front. They're smiling strangely back at me, as if they know something I don't. I swear it feels as though the room is getting hotter. From the sound of everyone discussing.

I can tell the rest of the class is taking notes and trying to get to know their partner. And here I am, sweating and staring at a blank sheet of paper like it is either about to make me a billion dollars or drown me in poverty forever. I feel like it's his turn to say something, to start us out, but he just keeps sitting there in mock silence. At this rate, I will fail.

I turn a small bit his way, but still don't look at him. His scent hits me like a ton of bricks. I wrinkle my nose, deciphering his odd smell. It's strong and smokey, with a hint of apples. He almost smells like a man would if he were just finished saving a baby unicorn from a house fire. Smoke and sweetness. I stare at the wall clock.

There is no way I am going to get a good grade on this assignment. Class is flying by, and we have established nothing. I pick up my pen and begin to write. I will just have to go by my assumptions, then. There is no way Garlic man can tell if we are lying, right? I write my name and his in the top margin. I am about to write that he has a cigarette problem when he leans over to me. I can feel his hot breath on my neck. It makes me shiver in a strange way.

"And what do you believe is okay to say about me on paper?" He scoffs. "You don't even know me."

I finally tilt my head up to look at him. His face is painfully beautiful, and his emerald eyes are glowing with anger.

My hand shakes as I put down the pencil.

"Sorry. I thought you didn't want to do this with me, so I was just going to-"

"Lie?" He laughs. The sound gives me cold chills."You don't seem like the type."

So he was making assumptions about me too during our silence?

I frown. He doesn't know me, either. He doesn't know what I am capable of.

"Maybe we should get to know each other, then. To get this done, since we both obviously can't lie well." I tell him, referring to how we don't know a thing about each other.

He smiles with unfriendliness.

"I am a great liar, so you can go ahead and write that down. But maybe we should. Get to know each other." Harry says, his voice even more husky, and it sounds like an innuendo, so I struggle for a way to move forward in the conversation.