13: Strange Dreams

My image is distorted by the black lipsticked message in the mirror. I stare back at the scared girl, but not for very long. My feet are moving quickly, running out of there with the words pressed in my head and the candle lights burning behind my eyes.

I already know what to do. We have cameras outside which will show us all activity, and I will show father and Villie the room upstairs tomorrow morning.

They should know what to make of it, and I'm positive the police will have something to say of it all. I know they are who father will phone first. Any sane person would run straight away and tell, for fear the scene may disappear by the daylight, but I'm far too tired and afraid to speak or move any longer for any matter.

As soon as I enter my room I fall onto my mattress and into my dreams.

A curly haired boy meets me there, his emerald eyes catching mine like a fly in a web, and he's being held captive by a strange dark figure under the light of the night's moon.

And then the picture changes, the world evolves into some other thing entirely.

I stand under a dark light all of a sudden. It shines down from the white sky, thick and foggy. Everything else in the environs of is glowing white, pure crystal buildings soaring into the line of the sky. A breeze swirls the world around me, making me shake. I'm in the middle of a city made of precious stone and light, and it's unrecognizable.

I suck in a harsh breath as a figure outlines in front of me. I'm not wearing my silk pajamas anymore. A long wine gown adorns my body, with plum ballet flats, and a silver chain hangs from my neck. On the end of the chain is something glowing like ember, bright crimson and yet dying against the dark light.

The figure comes forward, a creature-like person, and I see its eyes are not really eyes at all, but black spider's legs. It's so horrific, like the legs are literally crawling out of the shadowy, hollow sockets. I hear myself screech, jumping back out of the darkness and into the light.

It's such a nefarious sight, and soon the rest of the creature comes into clear view. It gleams like nothing I have ever seen before, silver skin with white intricate designs and spider eyes. It also looks like a woman. I cough once in shock, then find myself tumbling backward in fear.

The creature smiles. It is not kind, and it looks at me as if I am a friend from long ago, resurfacing after many years behind the shadows, calling to unite the severed bond between us.

It holds out a hand, which illuminates fire beneath a glassy palm, and offers a small piece of parchment. My eyes grow wide, but I cautiously move closer, curious to what the creature desires from me, what the parchment expresses.

The creature leans forward, sensing my movement, pushing the parchment further at me. As soon as I am directly before it, I quickly grab the offered paper, gasping harshly at the broiling sizzle the contact with our hands make. I unroll it, and see the letter. Or the message. It is written in a beautiful hand, one from an ancient and more precise time.

He is coming.

I look back up in time to see the creature fading away into the blurry white of the world, her hands stretched out before her.

"Who?" I call. "Who is this about?"

But it is too late. The stranger has already disappeared into the withering white of the wind.

***

Daylight arrives.

I try hard not to ponder my strange dreams from last night. I don't want to even think about what they could mean, even though I know most dreams mean nothing at all. They're just that. Dreams.