48: The Royal Regimen

My hair falls down my back, brushing my shoulders and tickling the skin that the golden dress has left bare. The woman with the cat eyes and large glasses examines me for the twelfth time. Does it fit right? Do I look the part? She must decide. I must wait.

"Yes, very curious...the way this gown lays." She says in her low, scratchy voice. I'm breathing heavily, thinking of how old her hands feel on my skin. She looks as if she has seen things far beyond what the aveage human would in their life, and like he took matters into her own hands on more than one ocassion. "The last one I sold like this was twenty years ago. Pray tell, what is the occasion, my dear?"

In my chest, I feel my blood pumping faster. Cat eyes bulge upon my blushed cheeks. Can she feel how tense I am?

"A ball, ma'am. Everyone who is anyone is going to be there." I answer respectively.

She smiles thin and long.

"Why, of course they are! of course they are."

A piece of the lace is pulled across my shoulders and the doorbell rings signaling a fresh arrival. The woman turns to face her new customer with eagerness. But, it isn't exactly a customer. When I turn, I see that it's Harry.

"My husband!" I exclaim, taking my fluffy skirt into my hands and charging at him.

He smiles and kisses my forehead as I fall into his arms. I can feel cat eyes gleaming behind me.

"Young couple, I say. Young and handsome."

Harry extends from me, but keeps our holds locked. He makes an excited expression as he takes in my dress.

"Oh, God! He has come through! Such a fine material! Why, no matter the cost, I'll pay!" He shouts, and I take him by the tie and kiss him hard.

A searing pain burns in the back of my head, and I hear a gurgling laugh ring out behind me. The woman is heaving with joy.

"He does, that designer Buroshati! He comes through often! Never had a single complaint, I'll tell ya that!" She shouts.

I silently sigh in relief. She seems satisfied. Harry grips the gown, feeling of the material. He's already fitted in a fine grey suit.

"I loooove this, baby." He whispers in my ear. "You look like a million dollars."

He pays the woman for the gown and, wearing our fancy attire, we scurry outside into the brisk evening air. Cat eyes watches us from the window a we go. I can feel her staring, making her impression as deep as she can in my mind.

***

Across the dark water is a figure shaped like a black crow. It laughs, hoarse and feminine, and I cower next to the gazebo. Oh God, where on Earth is Harry with those drinks I sent him after? I cannot believe I am alone, outside the party, only twenty minutes into it. He was the one who wanted to come, and now look at me. I must look like a fool! I absently wonder if the woman in the black dress is alone too, if she too has been stranded for punch and fine wine. I turn back to the entrance of the party. Music is blasting loudly, enchanting lights adorning the ceiling, partygoers dancing tastefully. It turns out that the Ball of Bewildering Bouancey is quiet amazing, quite extravagant, and quite full of rich people. It's all so grand. The problem is I'm not having the kind of fun I had hoped to have. I'm just in the dark, waiting, wondering where the blue blazes he could be with my ice tea.

"Oh, Danbaring! Oh, you selfish man! Oh, Dan, tell me where you have been this instant or I'll burn you to bits!"

The voice comes from across the small pond of flowers, and it immediately alerts me. It's the crow, the woman in black. Her back is arched and her hands are in the sky. She could be weeping or praising or posing for a high end fashion magazine. I haven't decided. No matter which my guess is she is pretty upset with the dark figure next to her. Oh, Poor man, he looks very small and afraid. He's whimpering unbearably. I think about resolving conflict if something terrible happens. But the thing is I haven't seen one extreme knight at this party or the hostess, Candace Flimal, and if something terrible does in fact happen I'm not going to be involved or the least bit surprised. This probably isn't even a proper party. My daddy would have these people hung for even thinking it was, though they do exhibit quite extravagant qualities as partiers.