3: Second Chance

The gates are wide open when I get home. This is both a good and a bad omen. It tells me that my father is finally back from Ireland, where he was doing business. I have missed my father much, don't get me wrong. I've been alone with my maid, Villie, and the rest of the service staff. Although, she isn't exactly my maid. I hate that word. She's exactly like family. She's a parent to me when no one else is there. But, having my father home won't change much except stricter rules and cold shouldered comments. That's just him. I ease closer to the gates and take a deep breath to calm my nerves. My family comes from quite a chunk of money, but we got even more after the passing of my mother. I miss her everyday, and would trade all the gold in the world to see her again, even if it is just to hug her and tell her that I love her. Villie is standing in the open doorway of my house as I drive through the gates in my brillantly pure Jaguar. My home is a massive three story brick colossal, a mansion made of patterned gray and salmon stone, and wooden shutters. Beautiful vines climb the exterior walls, and a white balcony adons the center of the structure, hanging above the entrance door where I see Villie waving and smiling at me. I park the Jag in a storage room next to the stables, a little ways back into the fields of our land, where we keep the steeds for riding. I need the walk back up to the house to clear my head. School today has majorly messed with me, and I'm not sure if I can make it through my science this year without failing miserably. Harry Styles is the man to thank for that. Or should I call him a scoundrel, a no care bad boy trying to mess with my plans? All I know is the Rhode Island sun is blazing on my head, giving me a worse headache than before. When I finally reach the mansion, Villie's small face is contorted in a confused frown. She ushers me to walk faster, and when I don't, she runs out to meet me herself, and grabs my hand passionately.

"Miss Eyre, is there something the matter?" She asks me, her voice rolling along in her thick Italian accent.

I shake my head that there is. I can always tell Villie all my problems, and she doesn't tell anyone else. My dad is hardly around because of his work, so he is never there for comfort. She has taken care of me since I was eight, when my mother passed, so she is just like family. I can trust her always.

"Yeah, I have a science partner that is going to make me fail the semester." I admit.

She raises one of her thin blonde eyebrows at me, and I watch as her small hands smooth out her consevative gray dress skirt. Villie always looks too young. She's in her fourties, but she honestly looks like she could be in her early thirties. I can't tell if it's an Italian thing, or just a Villie thing, but the woman doesn't age.

"And this is a bad thing, then. Can't you..what is referred to...change your partner?" She questions me as we reach the first steps of the mansion.

I shake my head at her, and reach to open the door, but Benny is already there, in his dark classic suit, nodding his head formally and ushering me inside.

"Hello, Benny." I greet the doorman/butler.

Villie's eyes slightly widen, and she looks in shock, as if something frightful has just struck her memory. She leads me upstairs before I get to say anything else, pulls me into my bedroom, and shuts the door.

"I have secret news for you, Miss Eyre. Very secret."

I feel myself lean forward as she says this. It isn't often that Villie speaks so confidently.

"Go on." I encourage, but a knock at the door startles us both, and Villie sighs before answering it.

My father stands on the other side. He looks just as he did the last time I saw him. His hair is gray, but his temples are a glossy white. His smile is kind, and his skin is tanned and fresh, as if he did nothing but stay out among the open sea in the sunlight, sailing away the time.