40: Most Dangerous Game

"Let's split up." Harry tells Islan at the Jag. "You hop on down to the nearest cemetery and call upon a Messenger angel. Make sure you tell the angel that the Queen of Hearts sent you, and you would like to know if there is any new information on what is going on with the mirrors. Also, ask what the Host plan to do about Demetria. And ask about Shaduiel. I need to know he isn't planning anything crazy to try to hurt Tahlia. If the angel gets suspicious say the Queen demands an answer to insure her survival. Just find out as much as you can, please. Tahlia and I are going to the cabin Michael used to have. The safe one from demonic forces. We'll meet back here at Layla's Fortress in an hour. Be safe."

Islan nods, hops up the bank, and disappears.

"What is Layla's Fortress?" I ask.

One thing at a time, I guess.

Harry opens my door for me until I get in, then walks around the driver's side.

"The tree house. It was named after her. Let's save that story for another time, please." Harry pleas, so I relax back into my seat and let him drive us away.

***

I shiver.

The night is breaking winds harsher than any I've ever seen.

"Are you cold?" Harry asks me.

He reaches and turns up the heat in my Jag.

"That should warm you up a little bit." Harry assures me. "But, there's nothing I can do about the wind."

I sit up straighter.

"Why, what's happening?" His tone told me there was more to his meaning.

Harry clenches his jaw, then looks up at the black sky through the windshield.

"Whatever dark thing is taking over Heaven is off setting the Host's balance, therefore the conditions in the weather. I have a feeling something big is going to happen soon. There's something I don't know." He tells me, quite wondering and irritated at once.

"It'll be okay. Whatever it is, we'll get through it." I tell him.

Harry grips the wheel tighter.

"I'm afraid for the other mortals, too. I'm not selfish. I do want to save them." He explains. "I just really care about you. I will die for you. And I want you to know that."

I reach across and touch his knee.

"I almost died for you. And every second I am with you it only proves more and more that I feel the same. This is dangerous. Our love. It's so dangerous, but I cannot imagine the Hell I would be in were I not with you." I say, my heart racing just as fast as his breath is coming.

The wind stops and the rain picks up again. I smile at Harry. He is all I want, and I will protect him for as long as I live.

Since words cannot possibly fill the void in our hearts or the love we have for each other, we stay silent.

***

The cabin appears in the middle of a forested area, reminding me of Annabelle's pink cottage. The thought of Annabelle causes my heart to clench tightly. I hope she is okay. I hope she is as strong and brave as I have been told.

The window closest to the front door is shaded with a dirty rust color. Harry takes my hand, kisses it, and then we both get out of the Jag. Rain pours down in small streams. It almost burns my skin, the hot feel of it. Harry turns the handle on the cabin.
The front door eases open, creaking with age.

"What are we expecting to find here?" I ask him.

"Michael used to stay here when he was younger. It's close to Annabelle, you know. But what he told me...well...It was a safe place for him to go. If there are any clues to anything going on, maybe they are hidden here." Harry says.