23: Heavenly Fire

The first face I see upon exiting the red room was one I was wishing to avoid my entire visit: Winnta.

"Oh, heeeello, Harry!" She coos.

And then I watch her as she shoots me an annoyed look before covering it up with a fake smile.

"You too, Tessa."

I purse my lips at her to try to contain my frustration. She knows my name. She just can't seem to remember it around Harry.

"It's Tahlia." I remark.

"Right." She says.

She half smiles an turns her attention back to Harry.

"You were absolutely amazing up there, darling! My favorite song was the last one. I just love that one. What's it called again?" She asks Harry.

She speaks so horribly 1940s movie actress-like, expressing her words with emphasis as if some words are more important than others when she says them. And maybe they are. Just not when she is talking.

He scratches the back of his head and smiles at her with bashfulness.

"My angel." He barely whispers, and when his eyes meet mine he blushes slightly.

Oh, my.

She looks from him to me and then back to him again. Her inside of her cheek is caught between her teeth and she must be biting down some snide remark.

Who is this woman, anyway?

She is annoying me.

"Of course. Well, I must be going. I have some very important things to attend to." She tells him, and then winks like he knows exactly what importance business she is referring to.

He smiles thinly, clears his throat, and nods.

She takes that as a cue to hug him, and I don't like that at all, before she finally walks off.

"Ugh." I hear myself say when she is gone. "What a....a....a....there is not even a word!"

Harry's eyebrows raise in surprise.

Really? He's surprised?

I thought it was pretty obvious how bad she wants him.

"Winnta? She's just different. Don't mind her." He tells me.

"Don't mind her? She was all over you!" I hiss. "Just like the first time I saw her!"

He rolls his eyes like an arrogant teenager.

"She hugged me goodbye. Hell, even Ashton does that." He counters.

"Well, I didn't like it. I'm liking the goodbye, I can't deny that, but the touching not so much." I say, my arms crossed against my chest.

He huffs.

"Whatever." He says.

"You're acting childish. Do you like her or something?" I ask him unguardedly.

I want to believe he doesn't, but I don't know his past....

And that haunts me. I barely know him as it is.

"You don't know anything, so just shut up. Yes, I like her. But no, not the way I like you." He seethes, and his desperate eyes tell me that he means what he is saying.

"And how are you wishing me to take that?" I ask.

I purse my lips at him.

"Fucking stop pouting like that. It does things to me." He whispers darkly.