Chapter 26: The Price of the Sacrifice

Bamboo Flute Dizi Cover- 初见/ First Met

Please play the video while reading~

-Lilia

She stood frozen. A part of her was screaming for her to duck, to dodged, as the arrow came with the speed of light. Lilith fought for control inside of her.

The other part of her stood still, standing her ground. She had already lost her will to live. Why? Why dodged when she could just die with a smile on her face? She of all people knew how reality in the world really was. How cruel it could be. So why live at all?

Even as she thought that, she could feel all of the fight in Lilith went out. She stopped struggling for control. The thought had hit right inside the hearts of both of them.

The arrow crossing the distance between them. Saying nothing, she close her eyes, waiting for the moment when the sudden pain would hit her chest.

But it didn't came.

Instead, a solid thump hit the place infront of her.

Opening her eyes in shock, she stared.

Instead of hitting her, the arrow found its mark on another body. Blood was already pooling out of his body.

She stared in horror at the person who had took the arrow for her as Lilith started wailing.

It was the old man who had given her the gloves.

Dropping down on her knees, she crawled over to him, not caring that she was soaked with his blood as tears streamed from her eyes.

She finally remembered.

This was the man who had held her in his big, strong arms with so much pride and joy when she first opened her eyes. This was the man who had played with her when she was a toddler. This was the man who had smiled at her one last time before he was gone forever.

This was her father. The man who had given her the gloves that she was wearing was her father.

"No. No, please." She whimpered. His eyes, his sky-blue eyes flickered to look at her. Lilith was howling with grief as he smiled at her. It was the smile that was full of love for her.

"My dear daughter..." He wheezed as he choked on his own blood.

How could she have forgotten?

"I'm so proud of you...you have grown into such a lovely woman..." He coughed. Sobbing, she shook her head.

"Please don't go dad." She pleaded.

"I was always...there. Watching over you. Now...I can finally rest in peace...knowing you are in good hands."

No. No. It can't end like this. 

Crying, she buried her head at her father's chest as he took his last breath. 

"I'm proud of you, my daughter."

His body became limped as the light in his eyes faded. With his magic gone, his body turned back into his demon-form before crumbling into dust that was blown by the wind.

Howling, she screamed in pure anguish.

Up in the skies, rain started to come down as a storm came. Soaked to the bones, she didn't even moved an inch to find shelter. Each of them silent, her companions stood around her in a ring.

The light in her eyes dimmed until her eyes were pure black.

"Reddam tibi."

Hard sacrifices must be made. That is the price to save a live. 

I regret nothing. Nothing at all.

So! That's the end of chapter 26! See you all in the next chapter, which I will -hopefully update this or next weekend. S'long!