Chapter 31: The Heart Does Not Lie

-Ember-

She woke up from her fitful slumber, gasping for breath. She looked around her in panic as the memories of what had happened came to her mind. Beside her, Lilia slept peacefully, her breathing steady.

She was haunted by the shadows, fearing every movement as if it could be something, waiting, watching her every movement.

Silently, she stood up and walked away, intending to get some fresh air. Her head pounded painfully with every movement that she made, causing her to wince. She didn't remember doing anything that might caused the migraine...or did she?

What...had she dreamed just now?

A blank space filled her head as her head hurt even more. She quickly supported herself against a tree.

The heart traps you.

It...traps me?

She felt it. She felt it down to the depths of her soul. There was something there, like a dam blocking the river but she could not push it away. It was a constant reminder of how weak her body was, always in constant danger from a trip of the leg or the twist of an ankle. She could have unblocked it, but she did not have the courage to. She was blinded by her own fear, a bottomless void that beckons her.

"What are you talking about?!" She flinched when she heard a harsh voice. Lowering herself to the ground, she silently eavesdropped on the conversation.

She gave a gasp when she heard the reply. Instead of a voice, it was the hiss of the snakes, the moans of the malevolent. It promised cruelty and internal darkness to its enemies and swore fealty to its master.

It was a demon.

But why is a demon doing here?

"Leave. I do not wish to see you again."

It answered in a snarl, uttering noises that could make one tremble in utter horror.

"They have not said anything yet, so I do not know their plans. Now leave."

After that was said, the clearing returned to silent. She put her trembling hands to her mouth.

There's a traitor among them...

But the question was, who?