Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three: The Miracle

I sat alone on the table for breakfast. No one to talk to. No one to stare at. No one.

My phone finally rang breaking the silence of everything around me. I looked at the screen and the name flashed Sky. I took my bag and walked out the house.

"Hey, Vi" she said.

"We won't wait for Brook" I said and she started the engine.

"Is she sick or something?" She asked during the ride, but I didn't answer.

I don't want to talk about James or Brook. I don't want to talk at all. She gave me a confused look before fixing her eyes to the road.

As usual she parked in front of Chloe's house and got out.

"Aren't you coming?" She said through an open window.

"I'm not in the mood for any talk, Sky"

"Okay" and she walked to her brother and Ethan.

Damien too was there. He waved to me as I sat in the car and I waved back. He gestured me to come with his hands, but I shook my head.

He's a pretty nice guy and a friendly one. I have to say he's a good match for Ethan.

They were talking together, but my gaze and Ethan's were locked. Maybe he sensed that something is wrong with me.

"Hey"

"God!" I cried "Damn, Caden. You scared me" I was lost in my thoughts and I didn't notice that he was standing out the car.

"I'm sorry" he said with a smile "Where is Brook?"

"She-Sh" I stuttered. How can I tell them that Brook has been taken away?

Maybe that new family will let her come to school normally. Sure, they will. I'm not going to say anything until we see her at school today.

"Can we talk later, Cay?" I requested politely.

"Sure" he said "And how are you doing?"

"I'm great" I'm lying. I'm not great. I feel awful.

"You look so much like it" he laughed. I tried to laugh only for his sake, but it's hard. It's hard when all I can feel is weight. I have to get it off my chest.

"Cay, B-" I started, but was cut off by Ethan.

"Morning"

"Morning" I said. He leaned to Caden's ear and whispered something.

"Okay" he said "See you at school" And he walked away.

"So"

"So" I said. Why do our conversations always starts with So?

"Do you mind if I drive?" He opened the door and sat in the driver's seat.

"Sky isn't coming?!"

"She'll ride with her brother" he said "So it's just me and you" he turned the keys and started the engine "What's wrong?"

"Nothing" I replied.

"I thought I'm the honoured one to be princess Victoria's secret keeper" he said and I laughed at the mention of my real name. I miss hearing it. Princess Victoria "I can call you by it" he said "If it will make you happy"

"I just haven't heard it for more than three months"

"Okay, Princess" he said "Tell me what's wrong?"

"Brook had been taken away"

"What?!"

"Yesterday two officers came and took her. Claiming that James can't take care of her"