Chapter 1

Picture of the Cassidy I imagined on the side.

Chapter 1

I was certain today would be full of bad luck. It was my first day of school. My parents had already gone to work when I woke up. My alarm did a horrid job at waking me up this morning. Instead of being quicker when getting ready, I was taking longer with anything I did.

I blamed it all on accidentally oversleeping two hours.

I was on my way to school thinking of how sleepy I felt, how crappy this new school would probably be, and how dumb I was for forgetting to eat breakfast.

I was usually hungry in the morning. If I didn’t eat, I would get cranky until I did.

It didn’t come as a surprise when I got lost a few times on the way. I checked my phone to see it was already nine in the morning by the time I slipped into the school’s parking lot.

‘The teachers would definitely love me for being an hour late the first day of school,’ I sarcastically thought to myself.

I was walking as fast as I could toward the main building. When my messenger bag started giving me trouble, I tried adjusting it to my side. Since I was too distracted with my bag, I only looked up in time to see a guy running past me trying to get inside the door.

As he passed me, his shoulder shoved me out of the way. I wasn’t expecting him to be so strong, or his push to carry so much force. I only felt as I fell on my butt, down to the ground.

It took me a while to zone in on what had happened. The guy stopped on his tracks and looked down at me, as I tried to sit up from the awkward position I was in.

“Hey, are you okay?” He asked, kneeling down in front of me. He was looking at me with a concerned expression, trying to check if I was hurt.

I hadn’t really paid attention to him, but when I noticed his appearance, I was slightly stunned. He had clean features, with blonde hair and light brown eyes. It was obvious he was built. His muscles stood out from his blue polo shirt. Overall, he was something nice to look at.

After a few moments of gawking at him, I felt stupid for checking him while he was looking at me worriedly.

“I’m fine,” I answered softly, dusting myself off.

“Here let me help you.” He offered his hand and I took it, trying to put most of the weight on myself.

“I’m Jared, by the way,” he told me, still holding my hand even though I was already on my feet.

“Cassidy,” I replied, trying to remove my hand from his. His grip was strong but it didn’t bother me as much as it should.

“I probably should’ve introduced myself before knocking you down,” he said.

I couldn’t help but chuckle at his words.

“It probably would’ve been better not getting knocked down at all. I was expecting an unlucky day anyways. Don’t worry, you just proved me right.”

I headed into the main building. Just before reaching the door, Jared opened it and gestured for me to go.

“Ladies first,” he said, while flashing me a smile and walking in after me.

“Thank you. I guess chivalry isn’t dead, if I forget the last minutes when you knocked me down.”

“I am really sorry about that,” he apologized, with a sheepish grin.