Chapter 40 (Layton's POV)

Chapter 40

Layton’s POV

Cassidy didn’t want to come home.

She was staying with him, with Zeverus. Just the thought of them two together made my blood boil. A good way to make my Wolf come out was thinking about Cassidy with Zeverus.

Zeverus had wanted Cassidy since the moment he laid eyes on her.

I had been running all night, trying to find a way to get her back home. The last time we spoke, she had been disappointed in me. I could see it in her eyes, and in the way she looked down at me. I hated that. I hated seeing her mad at me.

It was all because of that Rogue.

Liam.

I was going to become Alpha of Blue Bloods very soon. I had the third biggest pack in the country. My father had given me liberties with the pack ever since I shifted into my Wolf. I had made important decisions for the pack.

I had never questioned my judgment— never, until Cassidy came along.

In my mind, romantic relationships were worth very little. They were a nuisance. I stayed away from girls and they stayed away from me. Jared always told me it was because girls at school were scared of me, and She-Wolves were no different. I didn’t mind, because it kept unwanted company away.

Once, when I was fifteen, I unintentionally snapped at a human girl who approached me. I had little patience to deal with her, and I wasn’t interested in dating or in girls wasting my time by trying and failing to get my attention.

When the girl approached me, I simply wanted to get her away, and I told her that. Amazingly, to others, my tone and my words were frightening.

That day, Jared thought I was going to go Wolf and attack the human girl. I had simply snapped at her. I later learned that when I raised my voice even a little, people and Wolves alike thought I was going to attack them. That in turn made humans at school fear me, and I had no problem with that.

I liked control, and I always kept good control of everything and everyone— everyone except for Cassidy.

No one had really affected me before her.

I kept routines, I led the pack, and I did my job. Then she came along and changed everything.

She made me care. She made me weak at times, and I was annoyed by that. But then she would laugh about something and I would forget why I was annoyed in the first place.

And now Cassidy was making me doubt my decision with Liam.

I was going to kill him. I was close to doing it.

I beat him. After I was done beating him, the Rogue just laughed. It made my Wolf angry, and I started beating Liam up all over again.

I could have easily snapped his neck. The Rogue wasn’t putting up a fight. I wanted to kill him really badly. I had wanted to kill him ever since he attacked my pack years ago.

But Cassidy didn’t want him dead, and that stopped me.

My Wolf was asking for retribution for what the Rogue had done to our pack, but he also wanted to keep Cassidy happy.

It was tearing me apart.

I felt like I was letting my pack down by not killing Liam. There was no Alpha in the world who would have let Liam live after what he did. It was pack law.