Chapter 36

Chapter 36

I woke up the next morning with Layton over me. I was trying to wriggle out from under him, but he wouldn’t budge. My alarm clock marked it was seven thirty. I wanted to go to school, but it was already too late.

“I don’t want to go to school,” Layton said, shuffling off me.

I didn’t reply anything, only nodded my head in agreement. I briefly wondered if Zev and the guys were there. I wanted to see Zev. After what happened with Hanna, I wanted to make sure he was okay.

“The wound is bleeding,” Layton told me. He sat up, and softly ran his hand over the covered wound. I didn’t want to admit it, but it was hurting.

Once I was in the restroom, I got a clear view of the bite through the mirror.

Layton walked into the restroom and stood behind me, wrapping his arms around me and resting his hands over my stomach.

I hadn’t taken a look at the bite before. It had been covered by the gauze. Now that it was exposed, I felt self-conscious about it.

“It’ll heal,” Layton said. He was looking at me while I stared at the bite. The doctor was right, it didn’t look too bad. But I couldn’t wait for it to be completely gone.

“We should go back to bed. You need to rest,” Layton told me, resting his chin on my shoulder that wasn’t injured.

“What about my parents?”

“They’re gone. They didn’t want to go to work this morning, especially your mom. But your dad and I convinced her that you were fine.”

I nodded my head, relieved that my parents were okay. My mom had been a train wreck the day before. The bags under her eyes showed just how exhausted her body must’ve been.

At first, I got into bed with Layton beside me. I was tossing and turning for about an hour before I finally decided to get up. I didn’t feel tired, but my shoulder was aching. I wanted to take something for it without Layton knowing. Every time I complained about any little thing, Layton wouldn’t stop fuzzing over me.

“I’m hungry,” I said, after moving around on the bed once again. I was staring at the ceiling in my bedroom. Layton had been trying to sleep. I was probably scaring his sleep away with all my squirming around.

“You look like a little girl right now,” Layton said, not even attempting to get up.

“Hey, I’m sixteen. I think it’s fair that I get hungry in the morning.”

Layton turned to look at me, and shook his head before speaking. “Come on, I’ll make you something,” he said, getting up from the bed slowly.

We were in the kitchen, eating scrambled eggs with bacon that I had made. It was strange, but Layton wasn’t really a fan of pancakes or anything sweet for breakfast. When he first told me that, I thought he was messing with me. After I noticed his serious expression, I realized he wasn’t joking.

“We’ll go see my parents after we eat,” Layton informed me.

“Where’s Liam?” I asked. He had not brought Liam up in any of our conversations. Both he and Zev had been doing that and it was starting to annoy me.

“He’s underground.”

“Where’s that?”

“It’s in our pack building— where we have our cells. They’re fixed up so that a Wolf can’t escape, no matter how hard he tries.”