Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Times had evolved.

Everything was different from how it had been centuries ago. But just because the world modernized, it didn’t mean that my principles as a Legen should have been different.

Legens were once protectors of humans, guardians of kingdoms. Life was sacred to me. It wasn’t simply something that I thought or that I wanted. It was something that I felt, that ran deep. But nobody understood that. Zev and Layton didn’t. I doubted any Wolf would ever understand how I felt about life.

My parents became the center of my thoughts for a while. They would never understand either. They were different. They were human.

My dad loved me. He got excited every time a new gift kicked in. But it was for the wrong reasons.

I had become what I was because of my mom, from her side of my family. She had heard the stories and the rumors. She had the books, and a lot of information about Legens. But even for her, it had all been one big story full of myths, until I came along.

I was born a Legen. I was the only Legen I knew of, and that changed things for me. Because in the end, no matter how much anyone tried, they would never fully understand me and what I was.

Liam didn’t need to die. It was wrong. I felt lonelier because I was the only one who thought he deserved to live.

The tears in my eyes blurred my vision, and made it harder to keep flying. I had been high up, high enough to make me invisible in human eyes.

As soon as I set foot on the ground, I could smell the scents around me. I had learned to recognize and divide the scents from both packs. I was standing in the area that separated Blue Bloods and New Elite, but there were still scents from both packs.

I could feel Wolves around the area, but all of them were a distance away from me. I didn’t doubt that Layton and Zev were out trying to find me. I continued walking through the woods, stepping away from the trees just before I crashed into them.

I had never felt so low in my life, and yet I didn’t know who to be angry at. The loneliness was starting to turn into a deep emptiness, and I knew I didn’t want to feel whatever followed after that.

“You’re here.”

I thought I was imagining those words, so I continued walking. My thoughts were too blurred, and my mind was in another place. I barely had any consciousness to realize where I was, or if anyone else had joined me.

That was the main reason I missed her. Hanna had been calling my name, but I was completely blocking her from my mind. I was blocking everybody.

When I finally turned around to face her, I just had a second to step away. She has charged towards me with enough speed to knock me down.  

“What are you doing here?” She growled at me.

“Huh?” I mumbled out, breathlessly.

I was thrown off by the fact that she really was there, and I hadn’t imagined her.

Hanna was in such bad shape. Her hair was sticking up all over the place, messily. She was only wearing a long t-shirt that reached her mid-thigh, leaving her scratched and bloodied legs exposed. The shirt she was wearing belonged to Zev. I had seen it on him some time ago.

“Did you come looking for me?” Hanna asked.

Her eyes were blood red. I could easily tell she’d been crying. There were cuts and bruises all over her body, which looked recent.