Chapter 11

Chapter 11                 

The rest of the week went by smoothly. The homework load was light and there weren’t any more confrontations between Layton and Zev. I was still mad at Nick for what happened on Friday, so lunch with Layton was out of the question.

If I didn’t take off with Zev to the diner, I would end up in the library. Layton joined me in the library the two days I spent there during lunch.

During PE, which was the only class I had with both Layton and Zev, I made a routine of going to the end of the gym. When Layton and Zev arrived to class, they would each take a seat on either of my sides. Layton didn’t seem happy about the sitting arrangements, but he hardly made any comments with Zev there.

Zev invited me to hang out Friday after school. We were going to a lake a few miles away from his house. He told me about it on Wednesday, during one of our trips to the diner, and the excitement had started since then.

The weather had been nice and warm, usually turning cold until it was late in the afternoon.

I was wearing an aqua colored swimsuit, with some khaki shorts and a red tank top over it. Since I couldn’t be bothered to find my red pair of flip flops, I grabbed the blue ones and ran to the kitchen.

I was taking care of making sandwiches and packing chips and other snacks. Zev was taking care of the drinks. Just as I finished putting everything in my backpack, the doorbell rang.

Zev stood at the door, dressed in cargo shorts and a navy blue shirt. For some reason, his clothing made his hazel eyes shine brighter. There was a certain glow to them that was lighting up his features. I had to admit he looked great, even though he was wearing something so casual. His hair was disheveled and all over the place, like it usually was.

He winked at me when he noticed I was staring at him. I simply laughed, already used to his flirty ways, gave him a light shove, and threw my backpack at him.

Zev had to park about two miles away, so we were making the rest of the walk through the woods. As soon as I noticed the trees clearing out, I started walking faster.

When we arrived, I realized it was all more than worth it. The lake was absolutely breathtaking.

“Wow….”

“It is safe to assume that you like it?” Zev seemed amused by my enthusiasm.

“I love it!” I cried, and took the few steps to reach the shallow ends of the water.

“It feels warm,” I commented after dipping my toe in.

“We’ll enjoy it now. In a few hours, the water is going to be freezing,” Zev said.

It sounded like he had experienced the water at its coldest, and the way he cringed when he spoke, it made me smile.

“I can’t believe you have this so close to home. How the heck are you not here every day?”

Zev was closing the distance between us. Once he was beside me, he took my hand and began walking us deeper into the water.

I stopped for a few seconds, enough to slip off my shorts and tank top. Even though I had extra clothes, there was no point in getting the ones I was wearing wet.

It was a full swimsuit, which made me feel less exposed and a lot more comfortable than a two piece.

When Zev noticed I was undressing, he slipped of his shirt as well, leaving his chest bare. It was impossible not to look at his nicely tanned skin. His abs looked amazing, and distracted me for a few seconds.