Chapter 29

Chapter 29

“Something’s wrong, isn’t it?” Layton asked me on the drive home.

“Why do you ask?”

“I can feel it. The bond, remember?”

“Oh,” I replied, not knowing what else to say.

My nerves were killing me, and there was a knot in my stomach.

As soon as he turned off the car, he opened his door and walked out with inhuman speed to my side. I was about to grab the door handle when Layton was next to my door, opening it for me.

I looked at him, raising an eyebrow. He simply shrugged, acting like his behavior was normal. I really had to admit Layton and Zev were acting odd. It was like they had switched attitudes. While Layton was being friendlier, Zev was getting jealous of other guys. It was really silly.

My parents were still at work, so I made my way upstairs to dump my book bag. Layton followed me, probably assuming our talk would start as soon as we arrived.

“Are you hungry?” I asked him while I looked through the drawers in my closet. I was looking for some shorts, and also trying to make time to organize my thoughts.  

“Uh… Sure,” Layton replied.

“I’m just going to change. You want to go downstairs,” I told him, peeking out of my closet.

He nodded and left the room without a word.

I prepared us some turkey sandwiches and grabbed a big bag of chips, bringing everything to the booth in the kitchen where Layton was sitting at. Layton had grabbed some sodas from the fridge, so I made myself comfortable.

“Last night, what I said to you, I didn’t exactly mean it how it came out,” Layton said, with a few pauses.

It was obvious he was finding it hard to go back on his words, or to apologize.

I chuckled, which was something Layton didn’t appreciate. He scowled at me. I stopped laughing, but the grin on my face didn’t go away.

I had been angry with Layton, but it was all gone now. At some point from last night when I hung out with Liam, to having lunch with the guys, to talking with Zev— my anger toward Layton had faded away.

The words he said last night were still in my mind, but I was trying to understand him.

Layton had a strong personality. I didn’t like to be told what to do or who to hang out with. We either needed to both compromise, or there was no point in investing our time and feelings in a relationship that would end, and probably badly.

“Last night with Liam, he told me some stuff,” I started to say, unsure of how to approach the subject. I wasn’t sure if my words would be offensive or not. The last thing I needed was to start a problem when I already had a few.

Layton frowned after I made the Liam comment, but he didn’t say anything. I was about to speak again, when he interrupted me.

“Whatever the prick said is either not true, or you just shouldn’t listen to him,” Layton said, sounding upset.

“You know, that’s a mean comment to make,” I told him, frowning.

“Cassidy, he’s a Rogue. Just because Marcus and Zeverus accepted him in the pack doesn’t mean everything he did was right,” Layton said, sternly.