Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I didn’t know what to do. Layton hated Liam probably even more than he hated Zev. He would’ve gone as far as killing him out of anger. Liam wouldn’t back down either, even if it cost him his life.

It had taken me a second to realize Zev was headed our way from another direction. I felt relieved because he was the mature one. I assumed that Zev would help me make Layton understand that a fight would only cause more problems.

But one look at Zev’s face and I knew he wasn’t in a talking mood. He looked even more furious than Layton.

Layton stopped when he was about twenty feet away from us. Zev stopped at the same distance but on the other side of Layton. His pack was backing him up and some were already shifted into their Wolves.

When I turned around, I noticed that ten more guys and four girls had joined Liam. It seemed like if anything happened, Liam wasn’t going to go down without a fight.  

“Let Cassidy go and I’ll give you a quick death,” Layton told Liam with a menacing tone.

Both Liam and I looked at each other with a confused expression on our faces. Layton thought that Liam was holding me hostage. Even though that had been the case before, for the last hour, I had been there on my own free will.

“You think…” Liam murmured, but he didn’t finish his sentence.

“No,” he stated firmly.

I turned up to look at Liam and raised my eyebrow. He simply grinned at me.

Liam smoothly got a hold of me, putting one of his arms around my throat and the other around me, resting on my stomach. I was facing both Layton and Zev’s pack, with my back pressed against Liam’s chest.

Layton almost shifted after Liam grabbed me in that position. Zev looked like he wanted to kill Liam.

I knew Liam wouldn’t hurt me— that wasn’t what he was after. I wasn’t even sure what he wanted. I didn’t know what he was looking for to make him happy.

“Let her go, now!” Zev growled at Liam.

Liam only laughed at him, which caused some of the guys from both packs to shift.

“Can’t you all talk it out?” I asked to anyone who would listen to me.

“I have nothing to say. As soon as I get you back, I’m killing Liam and all his mutts,” Layton stated with distaste.

Liam growled at him and unconsciously dug his hands into my stomach.

“Hey!” I cried in protest, because he didn’t stop.

His claws had extracted and were cutting through my shirt and sinking into my skin.

“Sorry Cass,” Liam apologized, loosening his grip and trying to see if I was hurt.

I slapped his hand away, which made Liam chuckle at me.

Layton, Zev, and everyone else accompanying them looked confused. I didn’t think they understood what had just happened between Liam and me.

When Liam noticed what he had just done, he cleared his throat.

“Uh, I mean, shut up!”

I wanted to laugh at how he wanted to save the situation and keep pretending he was ‘holding me hostage’.

But before I got a word out, someone from Layton’s pack charged in our direction. It was hard to describe what happened after that. In just seconds, everyone started going at each other.