Chapter 13

Chapter 13                                         

After Layton left, I did some chores around the house. I was in the middle of washing the dishes when there was a knock on the door.

I opened it to find Zev standing there with a gift bag in his hands.

“Hey stranger,” Zev said, making his way inside the house.

“What’s the present for?” I asked.

He handed me the purple gift bag on the way to the living room.

“It’s a now you know what I am present,” Zev replied with a light chuckle.

“Oh, why thank you,” I replied, laughing at his casual expression. His reaction was definitely a stark contrast to how Layton had been when he’d arrived to see me the night before. While Zev looked calm, Layton had been worried.

I took the bag from him and opened it. His present was a black and red t-shirt that said in big bold letters:

BEWARE OF WEREWOLF

I cracked up at his sense of humor.

“Now you know our secret, might as well live up to the name,” he said, while I held up the shirt over me.

“Uh huh,” I muttered, rolling my eyes at him.

I placed the shirt in the bag and turned my attention back to Zev. I needed to find a way to start the conversation. I had questions and Zev had promised answers.

“I smell Layton’s scent around your house,” Zev said, scrunching up his nose.

“He was here earlier, but he left a while ago,” I told him.

“What did he tell you?”

“He told me not to talk to you,” I replied in a teasing tone. Zev laughed at my admission.

“He wouldn’t be Layton if he didn’t tell you that.”

“I know. He also told me what happened between you two.” I was staring at Zev, trying to catch any sign that would give away what he was thinking

“Layton told you his side of the story. It’s very different from what’s actually true.”

“Are you going to tell me your side?” I asked him.

In my heart, I knew everything had been a misunderstanding. Zev was a good guy. Layton just didn’t see that. All the history between them was interfering and blinding him. I couldn’t just ask Layton to forget about what had happened in the past—it wasn’t fair of me. But I felt like he and Zev really needed to sit down and talk.

“Did you believe him?” Zev was staring at me intently, waiting for my answer.

“I believe that Layton is still hurting from what happened between you guys. He thinks you’re guilty, and that still messes with him.”

“You believe me?” Zev asked, sounding hopeful.

“Uh…. Zev, you haven’t told me anything yet.” He laughed at my reply and rolled his eyes at me.

“That’s right. Well I guess starting from the beginning would be boring. You already know that Layton and I used to be best friends.”

“I think that’s what everyone has been telling me. It’s the only thing I knew for a while.”

“We both shifted around the same time in November. Honestly, some of the best times of my life were right after we changed for the first time. Layton and I used to go Wolf all the time and turn the house upside down. It would drive our parents crazy.”