Chapter 20

Chapter 20

“So, are you going to tell me what’s going on?” I asked Layton once we made it to his room.

Just like he promised, he’d gone to pick me up from school. The entire ride from school to his house had been silent. Layton had a deadly look in his eyes and he honestly looked dangerous. I felt like if I spoke up, he would snap at me.

It wasn’t until we got to his house that he seemed to visibly relax.

“A couple of Rogues trespassed our territory. Nothing happened, but I still had the pack doing rounds and following their trail. I knew you were safer in school. That’s why I didn’t go get you sooner.”

“When did it happen?”

I was thinking of a way to alert Zev. He needed to know what was going on. If Rogues had trespassed Layton’s territory, they might’ve passed over to Zev’s side. After all, both packs were close off to each other.

“I was still at your house when someone made the call. I didn’t want to wake you up. I had the some guys watching over you so I knew you were okay.”

“I hate having shadows,” I told him, frowning and crossing my arms over my chest.

“Wolves, both Rogues and from other packs, are starting to find out that I found my mate. They don’t know it’s you, but I can’t risk leaving you exposed.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

Layton walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to his chest.

“I’m going to give you guards.”

“I am not-”

“Every Luna gets guards and you won’t be the exception. This isn’t up for discussion.”

“Just like that, without asking me?”

“I’m informing you that you’re getting guards. Trust me Cassidy— it’s not safe having you out there. You’re too important to the pack. Other Wolves who might want to hurt me will know that,” Layton said.

“I can take care of myself,” I told him.

He shook his head and didn’t even take my words into account.

“Even a strong human can’t compare to a Wolf, not even close. You’re guards have already been chosen.”

Layton kissed my forehead, and began walking towards the bathroom.

While he went in there, I took out my phone and sent Zev a message telling him about the Rogues. I knew he’d been worried and at least now he would know what he was up against.

I wasn’t sure how dangerous a Rogue was, but since it had Layton worried, it must’ve meant something.

“Who are you texting?” Layton suddenly asked.

I looked up and found him staring at me, a few steps away. I’d been too distracted with my phone and didn’t realize Layton had stepped out of the bathroom.

“Nobody,” I quickly replied.

I scowled myself after doing so, because I sounded defensive and it seemed to make Layton suspicious.

“Who did you just text?” Layton asked again through gritted teeth.

He wasn’t joking around. The hard look on his face told me he wasn’t going to drop it until I gave him an honest answer.