Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I practically ran out of the classroom once the bell rang. Instead of walking with Tyler to gym, I went looking for Zev.  I spent a few minutes walking around aimlessly without finding him.

Soon enough, the crowd started thinning out, until most of the students were in class.

I went to my locker to dump my stuff and texted Zev, asking him where he was. He quickly replied telling me he was already at the gym. I didn’t want to go to the gym, so I asked him to meet me in my locker.

He didn’t reply anything back.

Not two minutes later, a worried looking Zev was heading my way.

“Is something wrong?” Zev asked, kneeling in front of me.

I was sitting on the ground, with my legs propped up and my back resting on the lockers.  

“I think so,” I replied, nervously.

Zev was inspecting me, his eyes gazing everywhere in my body, but there wasn’t anything physically wrong with me.  

“What happened?”

He took a seat right next to me, his shoulders brushing against mine.

“Layton is having a pack meeting today,” I said.

My voice was so quiet and soft, I barely recognized it as mine.

“He wants you to come?” Zev asked, but he didn’t sound surprised.

“Tyler was the one who told me I should go.”

“You don’t want to meet the pack?”

“I don’t want to meet his parents, much less other strangers.”

I hadn’t been able to tell Tyler the truth. In such a short time, I considered Tyler one of my closest friends, but it was easier to talk to Zev when the topic of conversation was Layton. Tyler usually reasoned that everything Layton did had a purpose, even if I didn’t understand what it was.

“The pack isn’t strangers. Once you and Layton get together, they will be your family as well.”

“What do you mean with get together? Like, get together how we are now?” I asked, hoping that was what Zev meant.

He gave me a small smile, and shook his head.

“No, I mean, when you two get together and mate.”

I blushed at his words, although I wasn’t sure he had noticed it. Zev had grown serious, and he was looking away from me.  

“They’re strangers to me. Besides, who says Layton and I will stay together. It could all just be a silly crush. I wouldn’t want us to meet each other’s families if there’s a chance we might move on later on.”

I didn’t like the idea of Layton and me not being together. I couldn’t explain how, but thinking about it made my chest hurt and my stomach feel nauseous.

“Mates don’t work like that. We only have one mate and our mating is for life. It’s the reason most Wolves don’t date. They want to wait until they find their mate and have the real thing with them,” Zev said, with a faraway look.

“What about Hanna?” I asked, thinking back to Zev’s current girlfriend, who I had yet to meet.

“I already told you, it’s different with her,” Zev replied, like if he was bored with the subject.