Chapter 33

Chapter 33

I woke up Saturday morning feeling well rested. There was an insistent knocking at my door, which had woken me up.

“Cassidy, are you awake?” My dad asked. Layton was lying next to me and he quickly got up from the bed, looking disoriented. His hair was sticking all over the place and he had small marks on his face that were left from resting his cheek on the pillow.

I quickly shooed Layton into my closet and tried fixing my hair before opening the door.

“Hey,” I said to my dad. I walked back and got into bed once again.

“Why did you lock your door,” my dad asked, looking confused.

“I didn’t even notice I had done that. I was changing out here in my room last night, and I must’ve forgotten to unlock it,” I quickly lied. My dad seemed happy with my answer and he simply shrugged it off.

“Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah, I am. Don’t forget you’re going to meet Layton’s family this afternoon. Don’t go making any plans,” I reminded him, knowing how forgetful he was sometimes.

“I haven’t forgotten. We’re ready, don’t worry,” my dad assured me.

“I’m going to leave to Layton’s house in a little while, is that okay?”

“Sure, we’ll leave later in the day,” my dad replied. “Your mom wants to clean around the house and I wanted to work on some strategy for the trainings.”

I sighed at his words and nodded at him. “I know, I know.”

“We need to try to fit in more practices, Cassidy.”

“I’ll make time for them, I promise. I don’t want to get out of shape either.”

“Since you are looking better, I’ll leave you to get ready,” he said, before leaving my room.

Once he was out and I heard him walking downstairs, I went to my closet where Layton was at.

“That was close,” I told him, sighing loudly.

He chuckled and embraced me in his arms.

“Are you really feeling better?”

I nodded my head, and pressed myself closer to him. Layton wrapped his arms around me, which was all the reassurance I needed. I had him, and that made me feel a lot better.

“My dad invited Marcus, his wife, Zeverus, and I guess Hanna as well— to come to the celebration today. You can probably talk with Zeverus there,” Layton told me.

I looked at him weirdly, wondering if he was feeling sick or something. Layton rolled his eyes and shook his head at me.

“I’m not exactly sure what I was looking to get out of that damn dinner, but I sure as hell wasn’t expecting what happened,” Layton admitted.

“I knew something like that would happen,” I told Layton.

“Zeverus isn’t my friend or anything, but that has got to suck,” he said.

“What does?”

“Putting up with a girl like that,” Layton said, with a dry chuckle.

“Hanna’s going through that stage where Werewolves get a bit hormonal,” I told Layton.

“I guess that excuses some parts of her being a bitch. I don’t really care about them, I just want to know you’re okay,” he told me.

“I’m okay,” I said.