Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Layton sped his way to my house and to school after that. We made it to both places in record time.  

I was at school earlier than any other day. It didn’t exactly make me happy to be there at the crack of dawn, but it was better than lazing around at Layton’s house.

I sat in the last picnic table outside. The school was almost deserted. There were only a few students scattered around in the front area.

I heard movement coming from the woods behind me, but paid no attention to it. Since I knew that Wolves were running around in the woods, it didn’t exactly surprise me to hear strange noises.

“So, you must be the one,” I heard someone say.

I looked up to see a tall, muscular guy approaching my table. I tried to recognize him from somewhere, from Layton or Zev’s pack maybe.

I came up with a blank.  

“What ‘one’ are you talking about?” I asked in a bored tone.

There was something about people who acted mysterious and gave little information that peeved me out. The only type of cryptic I could handle was the one coming from Layton. Layton had enough of that to last me a lifetime.

“You are the future Luna of Blue Bloods Pack,” he said.

I could tell that he was young. He looked a few years older than me, but if he told me he was still in school, I’d believe him.

It was just something in his hazel eyes— they looked like if he had seen more than someone his age should have.

His dark brown hair was sticking up all over the place, like if he’d repeatedly been running his hands through it.

He somehow reminded me of Zev, but in a different, more rugged way

Sure,” I sarcastically replied, even though his words were true.

“You don’t have to lie.  I already know. You reek of Layton and I saw when he dropped you off. Let’s just say that’s not Layton’s usual behavior with anyone, unless you were his mate,” he said, sounding proud of himself for figuring it out.

“Do you want a cookie for that?” I asked him, mockingly.

He smiled at me when I asked that, but nodded his head either way.

“Do you have one?” He asked.

I hadn’t expected him to actually ask for it. When he did, I couldn’t help but glare at him.  

“You’re a Wolf,” I stated.

“Bingo.”

“It’s not a secret that Layton and I are mates. I don’t know why you look so smug.”

“I’m Liam,” the guy said, outstretching his hand.

He’d been trying to divert the subject, but his name rang huge alert bells in my head.

“Liam as in Zev’s cousin?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.

I hated Zev’s cousin, even though I had never met him. He was the reason Layton and Zev’s pack hated each other. He killed people just to prove how strong he was after he finally shifted.

“You’ve heard of me?” Liam asked, smirking.

“Yeah, I heard you attacked two packs and then ran like the coward you are,” I snapped at him.