Chapter 42

Chapter 42

“I need to see Zev.”

Layton was surprised with my sudden request. I could tell that he wanted to argue with me about it, but he simply nodded. The internal battle he was having with himself was obvious, although he made no mention of it.

“He might be in school,” Layton said.

“I called him this morning. The guys haven’t been going to school either.”

I had lost count of how much school Layton, Zev, the rest of the guys, and I had missed. My parents were worried about, but they tried to hide it.

I had gone back one day, and ended up leaving after third period. Rumors had spread around campus, and they were all different. All of them somehow tied Zev, Layton, their packs, and me into what was going on. They gave me a headache, and it was the last time I’d shown up.

Both Layton and Zev were going to have their Alpha celebrations very soon. Layton and I had mated and gotten back together a few days ago. It almost felt like we were starting over from scratch.

Layton was behaving differently. It was funny, in a way. He was used to having so much power, and never sharing it. I tried not to impose too much, and stay out of his business as much as I could. We were still struggling, but things had gotten better in just days.

I hadn’t seen Zev since I’d left his house.

We had spoken on the phone a few times. He called me, asked me if I was alright, and then we ended the call. He was detached. I understood why, but it still hurt.

“Things are different now, Cassidy,” Layton warned me.

“I know.”

“I don’t think you do,” he pressed.

“I’m not going to change, at least not when it comes to Zev.”

“My father is going to step down, and I’m taking over this weekend. We have to change some things. I want your priorities to be in the right place.”

“They are, Layton. Stop worrying about that.”

“You’re different when you’re with him.”

Layton’s eyes were on me, gazing at every change in expression or every movement I made.

“I’m different with everyone.”

“What did you two do while you were over there?”

“I already told you, we didn’t do anything. We barely talked.”

The day after Layton and I mated, he confessed that the week we were apart, he thought Zev and I had been together. When I told him that nothing had happened, he nodded, and said that he already knew that. Later that same day, he told me he was glad I had only ever been with him.

Since Layton knew that he was my first, and Zev and I had really not done anything the week I spent at his house, he was more curious about what had happened. He thought Zev and I had spent our time plotting some kind of crazy plan to get back at him or something.

While I felt that mating had made Layton think over his views, his possessiveness had grown as well. I had been sleeping over at his house, and he had not left my side the entire time.

John held a meeting for the most important members of the pack the day before. Layton explained that it was the two leaders for each of the Wolves in charge.

The two lead trackers, two lead fighters, two lead members, the third in command, Tyler— who was the future third in command—, Jared because he was the Beta, and Layton, who was the future Alpha. Lunas apparently are never invited to those secret meetings, so they were all surprised when Layton showed up, bringing me along.