Chapter 39

Chapter 39

I woke up feeling numb.

It took me seconds to realize where I was.

“Hey,” Zev said, coming over to my side.

I didn’t want to talk to him, even though ignoring him was going to be impossible. Zev remained quiet, but I could tell he was waiting for me to speak.

“What day is it?” I asked in a croaky voice.

Zev must’ve realized I was thirsty. I felt dehydrated. I had no idea how long I’d been out. Zev was pouring me a glass of water, and there was a small pill in his hand.

“I’m not taking that,” I told him, slapping his hand away when he offered the pill.

“It’ll help with the headache.”

“I don’t have a headache,” I lied. I took the water gratefully. My head was pounding, and I felt sweaty and sticky.

When I looked down at my body, I realized I was only wearing a long t-shirt.

“You burned through your clothes. I was out doing rounds and I found you in a heap on the floor… naked,” he added, looking away, but a blush quickly took over his face.

“How long was I out?” I asked, ignoring the fact that he had seen me naked.

“It’s past midnight. I haven’t told Layton that you’re here. I was waiting for you to wake up,” he said, sheepishly.

“I don’t want to be here. There’s no point in calling him. Layton already knows I don’t want to talk to him. And I don’t want to talk to you either!” I snapped.

I was angry with Zev. I had been mad before. But having him in front of me was harder to deal with. He had killed Hanna. He had killed her so easily. Just the thought of it made my stomach twist in disgust.

“I couldn’t let her do it,” Zev said in a low voice. The haunted look in his eyes made it so hard to be angry at him, which was what I wanted to be.

“I was letting her. I didn’t need you to intervene,” I said, harshly.

“You were going to kill yourself for him!” Zev growled.

He got up from the bed, and walked away from me. Even while wearing a shirt, I could see the muscles in his back tighten.

“You were going to let Hanna hurt you just because Layton killed Liam. Was Layton right? Did you love Liam?”

Zev’s outburst confused me. “Liam was my friend. He was important. But even if he wasn’t, he didn’t deserve to die.” I repeated what I had been saying ever since Layton had captured Liam.

“He deserved torture. Any other Alpha would have killed Liam even before leaving that place where he had you! Any other Alpha would have skinned Liam the day he came into our territory to attack! But Layton and I didn’t hurt him then. We did it for you, Cassidy…”

His speech ended up with him slumped on the floor, with his head in his hands.

“Liam had it easy with me. I had forgiven him. My father was backing off. Why can’t you see that he deserved this?”

“I forgave him. You should have done the same. I am not against fair punishment, but I am against death.”

We were quiet for a long while.

I could feel Micah and Nate standing outside the door. They didn’t try to come in, and neither Zev nor I called for them.

I thought our conversation was going to be over, and that Zev was going to leave me alone. But he didn’t. He got up from the ground, dusted himself off, and walked back over to the bed.