Chapter 2

(Picture of Layton on the side) 

Chapter 2

All of my thoughts banished when my eyes met his. Warmth spread throughout my body and I felt a tingling sensation running down my spine.

I wanted to go to him, to talk to him, to touch him. I just didn’t understand why.

He wasn’t only attractive. He was… Perfect.

He was looking directly at me as well. His eyes, which I couldn’t decide if they were a shade of blue or gray, were piercing through any self-control I had created.

After he had his fill of looking at every detail in my face, he slowly began to scan my body from head to toe.

I couldn’t help but do the same to him.

His messily styled hair complimented his chiseled features really well. His lean but muscular frame was almost too much to take in. Even though we weren’t close to each other, there was something about the air surrounding him that felt strong, powerful.

His entire figure was imposing, and for some reason, that appealed to me in ways I couldn’t even begin to understand.

I truly felt hypnotized by him.

I didn’t realize I’d stopped walking until Jared turned around and called my name.

“Hey Cass!”

I snapped out of the trance he had me in and turned to face Jared.

“Sorry,” I mumbled, giving Jared a smile and heading toward my seat.

He hadn’t stopped looking at me, but no one else at the table seemed to pay attention.

“Who is she?” I heard him ask Jared in a condescending tone.

“This is Cassidy. Cass, this is Layton,” Jared introduced us, motioning between the very good looking guy and me.

“Why is she sitting here?” Layton was speaking to Jared but glaring at me.

His question caught me off guard. I kept my gaze on him, trying to hide how hurt I felt by his words.  

“She’s sitting here because I asked her to sit with us,” Jared told Layton disapprovingly.

Layton looked at me and muttered ‘sure’ under his breath. With my enhanced hearing, I heard him loud and clear.

All the guys in the table were silent after that. The air felt thick and uncomfortable.

I looked at Layton and smiled my brightest smile. He stared at me with a confused expression and I could see a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. When I saw that, I grabbed my messenger bag from the chair and hung it over my shoulder.

“The jerk’s right Jared. There are plenty of tables to sit at.” I grabbed my tray and got up.

“Thanks for lunch,” I told him, gesturing to my food.

“No, Cass, you don’t have to leave. Layton wasn’t being serious,” Jared said.

As soon as Jared’s hand wrapped around my wrist, Layton growled audibly. The guys at the table and I turned to look at him, but he tried to cover the growl by coughing.

Using Layton’s animalistic behavior as a distraction, I slipped out of the cafeteria and to the patio outside. There were plenty of picnic tables scattered around the area, and the fresh air felt nice.