39

*GEO*

"Bro I don't take Ls!" Jovani shouted, climbing out of his go-kart.

"You got lucky." I argued, but in reality he just did really good.

The guys and I decided to have a social-media-free day, so we gave all of our phones to Mr.Jara. First we bowled, then we went to the mall, and lastly we went to a go-karting place.

"Alright boys. Here are your phones." Mr.Jara said, handing us our phones once we were in the car.

I unlocked my screen and saw three texts from Vanessa, five from Cat and several missed calls from Cat. Oh my God. Today is January 3rd. I forgot Vanessa's birthday.

I looked up from my phone and everyone, even Mr. Jara, was looking at me.

"Damn. I forgot Vanessa's birthday." Mario frowned.

"Me too." Julian said.

"Same." Jovani sighed. "We all suck."

"I'm so sorry guys." Mr. Jara told us.

"Dad it isn't your fault." Julian told him. "It's ours."

I looked at Vance through the rearview mirror and he was frowning. He forgot too. Vanessa told us ALL. She wanted to go out to a nice dinner, and...we fvcked up. I went on Instagram and saw a video posted 10 hours ago on Vanessa's page. She was sitting up in her bed surrounded by pink and black balloons, Cat was jumping on her bed.

"HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY VANESSA!" Cat cheered. Vanessa had a huge smile on her face...I bet she doesn't anymore.

I went to my notifs and a bunch of Flamin's were tagging me in comments telling me to tell Vanessa they say Happy Birthday. I haven't even told her. Vance drove us to her house and we all got out of the car. I knocked on the door and Mrs. Jara answered.

"Oh! Look who it is!" She said, angrily. "You're too late. It's after 11 and the girls have school in the morning. I can't believe you all!"

Ms.Romero came over to the door, clearly upset.

"Go home boys. Vanessa's upstairs trying to sleep. She asked not to see any of you. Please. She has school, just go."

Without another word, Mr.Jara walked with us back to the van and Vance took us all home. I can't believe I forgot her birthday. We're definitely over now.

I tossed and turned all night, overwhelmed with guilt. I promised Vanessa that we'd spend her birthday together. I promised.