44

*VANESSA*

When I opened my mailbox and saw a thick white envelope I screamed! Colleges only send thick envelopes when you're accepted right!? That's what I heard.

I grabbed the envelope and the magazine that was underneath it, and ran into the house.

"Mom!" I yelled.

"What!?" My mom asked, rusing our of her room.

"My letter came from UCLA."

"Ah open it!"

She sat down on the couch and I sat beside her. I usually try and open mail as neatly as possible,but with this, I literally just tucked my finger under the envelope flap, and tugged. The bright white page felt heavy in my hands.

"Vanessa Nicolette Romero, congratulations...you have been accepted into UCLA! We look forward to seeing you in the fall."

So much more text filled the page, but I ignored it and tears poured down my face. I was rejected by the University of Miami, and I thought no other school was going to take me.
My mom wrapped her arms around me and Benji jumped on the couch to lick my hand.

"Awww Benji!" I laughed and scooped him up in my arms. "Mommy is ok. I'm ok."

"I'm so proud of you baby. I knew you were gonna get in." My mom kissed my forhead. "I gotta finish getting ready for work."

"Ok! I have to tell Juwany! Oh and I gotta tell Cat to check her mailbox!"

Cat slept over my house the day we both applied to UCLA. We stayed up till 3 am imagining how much fun we'd have. We were gonna be roomates and our dorm was gonna be the best dorm ever, with tumblr DIYs and lots of gold spray painted things. If Cat doesn't get in...there's NO WAY I'm going without her.

After texting Cat, I texted Juwany and invited him over.

"Ok! What's this big news!?" He asked, running into my room.

I sat on the edge of my bed and smiled. "Sit down."

He nodded. "Ok..."

"Now close your eyes."

"Oh hell no, are you gonna spray me with silly string or something?"

"Wany! Please, just close your eyes."

"Alright, alright. Fine."

He closed his eyes and I went to get my acceptance letter from off my dresser.

"Open them!"

He took the paper from me and read it. "Oh my gosh babe!"

He jumped to his feet and hugged me. "Congratulations Nessa!"

"Thank you." I blushed and he hugged me again.

"I am SO FREAKING PROUD OF YOU!"

In my head this went so different. In my head he was angry that I'd be on LA, far from him. But his supportiveness is the reaction I could actually handle.