Chapter 20 - She's On The Hunt

~ ~ Chapter Twenty ~ ~

“Do you recognise them?” the woman asked and I turned to see a soft smile playing on her lips as her eyes stayed on the babies.

Looking back over at them, I frowned, they were familiar, but that’s what was making this whole dream thing so messed up...how could any of this be happening?

“I think so,” I mumbled with confusion after a moment and she laughed gently.

“Did you know that Evangeline means ‘good news’?” she asked softly and I moved my attention to the lady and off the creepy babies that looked so much like my brothers and I.

“How do you know my name?” I asked a little too quickly and harshly, but seriously, this is all just so messed up and I was over being confused.

The lady smiled secretly and her eyes ran up and down my body, inspecting me from the top off my head to the last of my toes, “You have grown into such a beautiful young lady, Evangeline.”

“I hate that name,” I muttered under my breath and looked back up to her, “Call me Eva, I guess.”

“Eva,” she smiled, trying it out to see how it sounds and I watched her curiously, her sparkling green eyes were the same shade I have seen every day of my life; If not in my own eyes, but my brothesr. Dad always told us we got our mothers eyes and his hair colour.

My mouth fell open a little; it couldn’t be, could it? This is impossible, but as I gathered old memories from deep inside of me of all the pictures I have seen my mum in, I knew this was her, “Mum?” I all but whispered, afraid it wasn’t and this was some cruel nightmare I was having or something.

The lady smiled widely and nodded enthusiastically, small tears building up in the corner of her eyes, “My baby girl,” she mumbled and held her arms open.

I was hesitant at first as I stared at her in show, but after a split decision, I practically ran to her, lunging into her warm embrace and holding on tight and I squeezed my eyes shut. I don’t know how this is possible, but I’m glad to finally be able to hug her.

I’ve always acted like I didn’t care about her when deep down a small part of me always had, she was after all my mum, the lady who brought me into this world. Though I’ve never known her, she is always a part of me.

“How?” I choked out, holding back my tears that suddenly wanted to spill out everywhere.

She pulled back, holding me by my shoulders and keeping me at arm’s length as she looked lovingly down at my face, I smiled slightly, unsure of what else to say.

“How does your kind exist? Is there a heaven and hell? None of these questions have a definite answer, but all I know is that ever since I passed away, I have been here,” and her eyes looked around the serene meadow like area, “in my own little world, with my babies as I last remember then. I guess I’m waiting for your father.”

My eyes looked back to the babies, “So they are us lot then?” squinting my eyes a little as I watched the twins with their chubby little arms and faces, “Damn, Travis and Stevie were ugly babies,” I muttered, scrunching my face up a little.

My mum laughed and it sounded more like a melody than anything else, I can see why Dad would have been so head over heels in love with her. “They are adorable, you all are and I love taking care of you all every single day....,” her voice trailed off, “I’ve been watching you all, you know. Your mate was right about that one.”