Chapter 33 - She's On The Hunt

~ ~ Chapter Thirty-Three ~ ~

My body bumped with the movement of the car, as Saxon drove us along the dirt road towards town. Neither of us had spoken about last night and I knew he would have been wanting to ask, but didn’t want to push me on it. If it had been the other way around though, I don’t think I could have ‘let it go’ in the way he has, my curiosity is too strong.

Glancing over at him, I noticed his lips were in a straight line and a small frown was on his face, just above his sunglasses. Our windows were rolled down a little and the wind blowing in was ruffling his already messy hair – we were running late this morning and he didn’t have time to run a brush through it. Honestly, I think he was just plain old lazy, I mean, how long does it take for a guy to run a brush through his hair?

“We have five new human students starting this semester,” Saxon spoke up with a soft tone and I looked over at him front on.

“Okay?” I asked, not really sure why he was telling me this.

“Make sure they know you are more than taken,” he grunted and a smirk spread across my lips as I chuckled softly, shaking my head a little.

“Think one of them might give you some competition, hey?” I teased.

Saxon’s head snapped in my direction and even with the sunglasses on, I could see his eyes narrow as he glared at me, “There is no competition Eva.”

Rolling my eyes, “Get your knickers out a knot, I was just yanking your chain.” I muttered and he looked back to the road again, “Besides, I’m sure I would have a heck of a job finding someone who could top your charming arrogance and jerk-ish ways.”

“You are a comedian Eva,” he muttered dryly and I laughed loudly, grinning from ear to ear.

“Please, you asked for that.”

“Because you’re such a catch with your feisty attitude and stubbornness, hey?” he retorted, “and don’t forget your immaturity now,” and I chuckled again.

“Those aren’t bad traits to have, best you remember that,” I teased again and suddenly my quiet mood had lifted back into my happy and talkative one. “Plus, I reckon I have matured a lot recently.”

Saxon smiled over at me; it wasn’t a huge one, but I noticed it clearly, “Yes you have.”

Shaking my head gently, I turned and looked back out my window, watching as the trees slowly grew fewer and fewer as more houses rushed by. “How come the school allows humans? I mean, why don’t you just have a wolf school out in the middle of whoop-whoop? Wouldn’t it be easier?”

“I thought of the same thing at first, but a school just showing up, even in the middle of whoop-whoop, would eventually gain unwanted attention. So when my Dad heard that Milton’s was going to be shut down due to lack of funding - because no one wants to support a school for delinquents – he bought the place out,” Saxon explained as I listened.

“But why let human’s attend?”

Saxon glanced over at me with a semi dry look, “We are not barbarians Eva, the students still needed a school and it was perfect for us. We don’t gain attention, and since the student population made up of humans rarely show up for class or are always starting fights anyway, we don’t look suspicious when we lose our tempers.”

Nodding slowly, “I guess that makes sense then.” Looking ahead at the road we drove along, the school would shortly come into sight now, “I was so annoyed with my Dad for sending me to this school, I was convinced someone would shank me or something,” I confessed with a small smile on my face.