Chapter 14: And How Exactly Do You Know Tom?

(A/N: Dedicated to waltzed For making me the really cute cover attached to this chapter. Thank you so much *virtual hug and gummy bears*)

Before I could realise what I was actually doing, I was already standing in front of one of New York's many tall buildings. The fact that I wasn't that much of a fan of the city, but now was on my second trip to it this week still baffled me. Dylan promised to cover for me when I told him I had somewhere to be. I was a tad bit grateful that he hadn't asked me about it and just simply agreed to do so.

Letting out the breath I had been subconsciously holding in for quite some time, I walked up to the entrance of the building with all the confidence I could muster. I stared at the elevator doors on the opposite wall; my destination. All that stood between us were a couple of big, scary looking security guards.

No biggie. I got this. Just keep walking and don't look back. I have nothing to hide. I have an appointment. Calm down. Focus on those metal doors. They probably won't even notice you. Act like they don't exist. Work it girl. Imagine falling, lol awks. Just, chill. Try not to act like a terrorist.

"Excuse me, Ma'am."

Great.

I hesitantly turned around and was met by the tallest security guy present. Of course I had to get caught by the most intimidating one. He was so tall that I think my eyes were at the same level of his belly button or something.

"Where are you headed?" He asked in a low and dangerously scary voice.

"I.. Erm have... I have an.." I began to mumble, pointing at the elevator doors behind me. "Upstairs.. Have an..." I opened my side bag, carelessly shoving its contents aside in search for the business card. I grabbed it and handed it to him, my hand clearly shaking on its way to do so. He took the card from me and I rubbed my hands together in an attempt to calm myself down.

"You have an appointment with Mr Harrings?" He asked, arching an eyebrow at me. I gulped, nodding frantically. He gave me one more stern look before walking towards me. Instinctively, I closed my eyes shut.

I can't move. I want to run but my feet are glued to the floor. My heart's beating so fast it'll rip out of my chest at any minute! How tall does he have to be to shadow me like this? He could step on me if he wanted to..

"Head to those elevators right behind you." He began. I slightly opened one eye to peek at him. "His office is on the top floor." He handed back the business card and I quickly reopened my eyes, surprised at the fact that he didn't interrogate me further, arrest me or skin me alive. I mumbled a quick thank you and hurriedly got into the elevator.

I pushed the unnumbered button and the metal doors in front of me slid closed. I turned to look at myself in the mirror behind me. What was I thinking? Was I really doing this? I picked at the baby hairs escaping my messy bun and readjusted the bag on my shoulder. Soon enough, the elevator made a 'ding' sound and the doors flew open. I was met yet again with the very straightforward, ginger secretary sitting behind her computer at the end of the corridor. I slowly made my way towards her, noticing how she never looked away from the screen in front of her for even a second.

"Marianne Evans, friend of Tom's, appointment with Mr Harrings at noon." She said, eyes still glued to the screen in front of her.

"That's pretty much it." I replied, twiddling my thumbs out of anxiousness.

The 'ding' of the elevator behind me made me turn my head in curiosity. I don't know why, but I assumed it was going to be a certain someone who you're probably assuming it was going to be as well. Let's just say, it wasn't who we were assuming it to be; for out came a tall girl dressed in a breathtaking, silver ball gown that made her dark skin glow.

"Miss Kali, please take Miss Evans here with you to the eleventh floor."

The girl looked at me and gave me a small smile. "Of course."

By the time we had reached the eleventh floor, I had already briefly gotten to know the girl. Her name was Iyanu Kali, originally from Nigeria and one of Mr Harrings' models. She seemed like such a nice and down to earth person, changing the whole stereotype of models being pesky and annoying. We got out of the elevator and Iyanu took me by the hand and dragged me past a bunch of people and cameras. My eyes couldn't help but wander from the man sitting behind a massive camera to the model dressed in a sleek tuxedo, posing next to the windows. I felt so small and out of place, like a grain of sugar in the midst of a salty lake.

"Ah, Marianne." Mr Harrings exclaimed when his eyes landed on me. "So glad you made it. How are you this fine afternoon?"

"Good, thanks." I responded, uncomfortable under the gazes of the people nearby.

"Superb. Then let's get started, shall we?" He clapped and walked away, talking to every person he walked by.

Start what exactly?

"Who's the fresh meat?" A girl asked, her arms crossed and a smirk painted on her face.

"This is Marianne," Iyanu introduced me, "Marianne, this is Claudia, one of the models." I extended my arm for a shake that she clearly turned down as she used her hand to flip her hair over her shoulder, awks.

"The most famous model, to be exact." She boasted. "This place would be nothing without Clom." She giggled to herself.

"By that, she is referring to herself and Tom Peterson, another one of the models here." Iyanu explained. She didn't seem irritated by Claudia's actions and if she was, she was really good at hiding it.

"Where is Thomas?" I asked no one in particular.

"He has a meeting but will be done in a couple of hours or so." Mr Harrings popped out of nowhere, answering my question. "Would you like me to call him?"

"Oh, that won't be necessary." I rejected. "I just, I don't know why I'm here and could use a familiar face around, I guess."

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked back to see Iyanu smiling at me. "Don't worry, first photoshoots are always nerve wracking. I'll be here to lend a hand when you need it." I honestly didn't know how to respond to her kindness so I just mirrored the sincere smile she had on her face and nodded.

"And how exactly do you know Tom?"

----------

A/N:

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas. You're not even in the chapter and yet you're brought up every two seconds smh

Thomas: "What can I say, the ladies looooove me."

I finally know where I'm headed with this, I just hope I can update frequently because finals are coming up, idk how I'm going to do it ;-;

500 READS AND 100 VOTES!!

You know who da best? U is ;)
A big, juicy thank you to everyone who read/voted I love you to bits ♡♡

How about y'all start commenting to prove to me that zombies aren't reading my story :)

----------