Chapter 16: I'm Never Going To Forgive Myself.

I'm not sure how long I was sat there, almost lifelessly, staring at the picture in my hands. Mr Harrings was so proud of it he decided to print it out for me to keep. His elaboration of it was and I quote: "First times should always be memorable."

That's what he said.

"Marianne."

I looked up at Iyanu who was standing in front of me. She picked up my bag from the seat beside me and sat.

"How about we go grab a bite to eat?" She suggested. "You must be starving. I know a cute little place not far from here and their food is the best!"

"Oh, I appreciate it but-" I started but quickly got cut off.

"No." She firmly responded, clasping my hand. "No excuses. I might not know you well enough and I might be jumping to conclusions with this, but I just have to say what's on my mind." She pursed her lips before proceeding. "You tried something new today you never thought of doing before and the outcome was breathtaking. I mean, just look at it." She grabbed the picture I had been holding and pointed at it. "That is a girl who is successful, beautiful, risk taking and awesome. That is you.

Suddenly, the world became all blurry and gooey-looking and it took me a moment to realise that my eyes were dwelling with collected tears, threatening to fall at any moment. No one had ever said something as nice and meaningful like that to me before.

What do I even respond to something as amazing as that?!

"Iyanu, I-"

She placed the picture back into my grasp and placed a hand of hers over my own. "You're welcome for hearing the truth for once."

I smiled and pulled her in for a hug, as I watched a notorious tear escape from my eye and land on the floor. After pulling away, I checked my watch. "It's almost two. I guess I have a couple of hours to spare." I shrugged. Iyanu squealed like a little girl and jumped from her seat. With my bag in one of her hands and my hand in the other, she lead the way out.

***

Approximately fifteen minutes later, we were sat in a corner booth at the little restaurant Iyanu had mentioned earlier. And let me tell you, it wasn't your ordinary place.

It was confusing. The interior design of the place was a mix of random cultures. It went from Italian to Mexican to east African to Indian to Japanese in five seconds flat. The chairs were covered in something that looked like animal skin, there was a portrait of the Eiffel tower on the wall and there were chopsticks on the table in front of me. Like I said, confusing.

"You mustn't be one to judge so quickly." Iyanu said with a chuckle. I guess she was enjoying watching me take in all of my surroundings.

I sighed. "Talk about fusion, huh?" My stomach rumbled, making me blush in embarrassment and as if on cue, a waitress came to our table dressed in a gorgeous red and gold sari.

"Sorry for taking so long." She quickly apologised, placing menus on our table. "Welcome to A Little Bit Of Everything. I'll come back in five minutes to take your orders, okay?"

I nodded in agreement. The waitress gave us a warm, welcoming smile before heading to another table.

I picked up the menu set in front of me and opened it, my eyes immediately widening at the sight of its contents. They were right by calling the place 'A Little Bit Of Everything' because on paper, right before my eyes, was a little bit of every type of cuisine from the east to the west of our godforsaken planet.