Chapter 15: Naturally Talented.

A photo shoot. I didn't come here to be a part of a photo shoot. Heck, I don't even know why I came here! This is all because of Bethany. Me trying to get back at Bethany. Trying to prove some sort of point, maybe even make her jealous, who knows?

"Hey, I'm talking to you."

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked the tall European-looking girl standing in front of me.

She sighed and rolled her eyes, her thick and probably fake eyelashes batting with every blink. "I asked how do you know him? Tom?"

"Oh, " I replied, "I just do." I know that wasn't a satisfying answer and she definitely didn't seem too thrilled about it, but that was all I could come up with. My mind just went blank.

How did we meet again?

To my luck, Mr Harrings came and told me he wanted to take a couple of shots of me as a trial run sort of thing. "Nothing serious." He said. "Just want you to get comfortable with being in front of a camera."

Hesitantly, I placed my side bag on one of the chairs lining the wall beside me. I patted the short summer dress I was wearing, flattening the nonexistent creases on it. It wasn't anything fancy nor girly, the only thing considerably girly about it was the floral print. It was just flowy and comfortable to wear and that's why I really liked it. I walked over to where Mr Harrings and a cameraman were talking, the latter nodding to whatever Mr Harrings had to say. Once they noticed me, they ended their conversation.

"Marianne," he said, with another clap, "I'd like you to stand right here please." He pointed at the ground a couple of feet in front of the camera. "Now remember, this isn't an actual thing. I don't even want you to pose. Just stand there and look straight at the camera, okay?" I nodded reassuringly. I mean, how hard could it be?

I walked over to the imaginary 'X' on the ground where he had pointed at. I then turned to face the camera and suddenly, I felt nauseous. Not like an 'I'm about to vomit my entire breakfast' nauseous, no. More like an 'I'm sick to my stomach from nervousness' nauseous.

Oh nooooo. Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no!! What have I gotten myself into??!! INTO.. You'd be lying if you said I wasn't something that you're intooo... NO, NO TIME FOR LYRICS IN REAL LIFE!! God, I shouldn't even be here. I should be at the café, miserably sitting on a stool and making lattes. That's all I've ever been good for. That's all I'll ever be good for. Bethany was right. What could an average girl like me bring to the table? Other than a cloth to wipe the crumbs of a muffin on it, nothing. I am nothing.

***

"Shit!"

I zoned back in and looked at the cameraman who was sitting behind the camera. His eyes were wide and he had his hands in his hair. If anything, he looked absolutely frustrated. Mr Harrings was standing right by him, his mouth slightly opened, staring at the camera as well.

"I'm so sorry." I muttered. I zoned out in the middle of a freaking photo shoot, how professional of me. Like, who on earth does that?! I knew this was a mistake. I walked towards them, still apologising as I did.

"Sorry for what?" The cameraman asked. He looked just as puzzled as Mr Harrings. I shrugged and saw Iyanu standing on the other side of the cameraman.

"Marianne, you look so beautiful." She said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. I automatically snickered at the lousy, inaccurate comment.

Next joke please.

Mr Harrings seemed to pick up on my little response and placed his hand on my shoulder blade. "See for yourself." He suggested, slightly pushing me in front of him. I gave him an unsure look before moving closer to the camera. Once I saw the screen everyone was staring at, I was speechless. The shot of me was taken whilst I was in my little trance, I was and wasn't looking at the camera at the same time and honestly, I looked pretty good.

So that's what I look like when I daydream, huh?

"Wow." Mr Harrings said from behind me. "I knew this was the right choice. See, some people work hard to become models; put time and effort into their appearances and poses, but others seem to have a bond with the camera, naturally talented, if you may. And you're one of them." I stared at Mr Harrings as the compliments spilled out of his mouth, one after the other. I was flabbergasted.

"I know I've asked before, but I have to once more." He pulled my hands to him and held them tightly. "I really, really really want to manage your modeling career. Don't give me an answer right now. Just, take some time to think about it again, please?"

Mr Harrings was such a nice man and seemed genuinely interested in becoming my manager. I just wasn't sure if modeling was my thing, you know? "I'll think about it." I reassured him. As soon as the words left my mouth, he jumped up and down like a sugar rushed kid, engulfing me in an awkwardly uncomfortable hug and picking me up. He thanked me before finally placing me back down on the ground where I belonged.

"That's a wrap for today, but feel free to stick around for as long as you want." He pinched one of my cheeks before finally acknowledging the assistant that had been following him around with a clipboard since I got there.

I went to grab my side bag and sat on the chair it was on. I opened it and began fishing for my phone once again in the black hole that was my bag.

I swear I go through this ordeal every single day. Having a mini heart attack whenever I can't find my phone is getting so old. I should probably just buy a magnet.

As I was still tossing everything around in search for my phone, it started vibrating. I'm a person who's phone has and always will be on silent. I could hear the vibrations, the annoying 'zzz' sound navigating me to the location of my phone. My hand finally made contact with it and I pulled it out. I checked the caller ID and picked up.

"Hey Dad, what's up?"

"Hi honey. You're not too busy to talk right now, are you?" He asked.

"Nope." I replied. "What's up?"

"Your mum got called in for an emergency shift this morning, which means she'll be free later tonight before heading out for her late shift at ten and seeing that it's been ages since she's had a night off, I thought we could have a proper family dinner with the three of us, just like old times."

A smile crept its way onto my lips at the sound of the idea. My dad had a heart bigger than The Iron Giant. "That sounds like a great idea Dad." I replied encouragingly.

"Great!" He exclaimed with a sigh of relief, I could feel his excitement on the other side of the line. "Don't be late now."

"I won't, don't worry."

"I'll even make that blueberry cheesecake you like so much."

"YES!" I practically screamed, resulting in me receiving a few stares. He said goodbye and hung up just as Claudia walked up to me.

"That picture you took looks really good." She stated, placing her hands on her hips. "I knew you had it in you."

"Erm, thanks I guess." I replied, confused by her sudden kindness. She was giving me mixed emotions.

"Can't wait to work with you." She admitted with a wink before walking away, the click clacks of her high heels echoing in the large room.

O...kay?

----------

A/N:

I got a glock in my rari...

Dedicated to Adrian1221

Feel free to comment, vote, follow, whatever :')

----------