CHAPTER 1.

Tyler was lost in his own little world as he effortlessly scribbled down the words onto his notebook. The busy classroom somehow brought him a strange sense of isolation, he was alone with only his thoughts to keep him company. But he didn't mind, in fact he quite liked solitude, it was when the words made sense to him most.  The occurrence of his day dreams had never caused any bother, that was up until now.

 Quickly he snapped out of his dream when the abrupt noise of laughter began to smother him. He closed his book and quickly scanned the room, to his dismay he saw that all of the twenty students were trying their hardest not to stare at him whilst they were laughing wildly. 

"Mr.Joseph I'm waiting!" the teachers sharp tone sent shivers down Tyler's spine, he hardly got into trouble and he didn't have the confidence to ask what he had done wrong.

"I-I-I..." he stumbled the letter repeatedly and could only stop when Mr. Brewerton shot him a look of disappointment. The biology turned child development teacher seemed to have no anger left within him, but his pitying eyes brought more pain than Tyler could handle. Disappointment was a shot in the heart in comparison to angers soft touch.

Shaking his head Brewerton knelt down, "Come see me after class, right now I don't have time to deal with this," he snatched the book from the desk and brought it with him to the front of the class. "As for the rest of you be quiet and read pages 7 through to 9. You may think this class is a joke but you're the parents of the next generation and believe it or not you're responsible for your body and actions so if I were you I'd listen up"

He's going to read it. He's going to think I'm weird. He's going to mock me. He's going to show everyone.  The negative thoughts flooded his mind but he didn't have room for distractions, he couldn't risk zoning out again, Mr Brewerton was one of those friendly teachers who could snap at any moment, his character was hard to judge and that scared the hell out of Tyler. 

//

The sound of the school bell froze Tyler's rapidly beating heart, he slowly edged his way to the front desk with his eyes glued firmly to the floor. To his surprise the room wasn't as empty as he wanted it to be. Leaning on one of the tables was a small boy with wild red hair that was spurting out in every direction, he was the type of face you would definitely recognize, Tyler was certain he'd never seen this boy in his whole life. Looking down at his own outfit Tyler realized how plain he looked next to the rainbow of a boy. His own shirt was a dull shade of faded white and his jeans were made from a bright black fabric. However, the boy was a different story, sure he was wearing black jeans but he was also wearing a coloured striped dress shirt which was accompanied by a red bow tie. His outfit alone wasn't so wild but compared to the monochromatic unspoken dress code the rest of the students seemed to blindly follow he stuck out like a sore thumb. Silently Tyler saluted the boys unique look but he'd never admit it. As selfish as it sounded he didn't have time to make new friends, he'd lasted 17 years without needing anyone so why start now. It was shallow to think this but the boy seemed very  extravagant and he didn't know if he could handle such a wild personality. He didn't need the added attention he'd bring.

"Introduce yourself to Josh here" the teacher seemed oddly cheery as he politely smiled at a confused Tyler, bearing in mind Tyler was staying behind due to his ignorant behavior so this air of positivity was uncalled for. In all truth he just wanted his book back, he didn't really want to make small talk but he couldn't cross Brewerton, if he did he knew he'd regret it.

"Um well welcome I guess? I'm Tyler and I'm really not up for this"

"Tyler!" the teacher shot him a look of rage, Tyler knew he shouldn't have stated his discomfort.

"No no it's fine I get it" Josh began to awkwardly began to rub the back of his neck with his hand, his cheek colour was now matching that of his hair, "If I were you I wouldn't want to speak to me either" Josh nervously chuckled and glanced at Tyler with his sad puppy eyes. Tyler immediately regretted  judging him and deciding he was an extroverted character who would only attract attention. It was becoming apparent that Josh was as lost and clueless as he was.

"I didn't mean it like that" Tyler's lips curled at the sides to try and prove he wasn't arrogant, but the tension could still be cut with a knife. "It's just if you want someone to show Josh around I'm not the best guy, I'm really not good at small talk or any talk at that sir"

"I'm fully aware of this Tyler. Think of this as payback for all the times I let you write things whilst in my class, it'll be a good experience ,you know if you're going to be a writer you're going to have to interact with people and get to know how other minds work."

"I don't want to be an author sir, did you read anything?"

"I'm insulted, I'd never disrespect someones privacy even if they weren't focusing in lesson. If you write all day and you don't want to be a writer what on earth do you want to do? If you don't mind me asking that is"

"Sir do you plan on embarrassing me in front of the new kid?"

"Now that you've said it I suppose so yes, call it extra justice"

"They're songs OK, i write songs! Now, can I have it back please?" Tyler was panicking, he'd never shown anyone any of his work and he certainly wasn't ready to show his biology teacher and a random new kid.

"Here, I was just breaking the ice anyway" Tyler snatched the book from the teachers grasp immediately and quickly packed it away in his backpack."So kid where you from anyway?"

"Columbus" Josh replied, "Adventurous I know"