CHAPTER 9.

✾Josh✾

Ty was looking extremely nervous as he trailed behind me. It felt weird being the one in charge, I wasn't co-operating with the idea that Tyler had to protect me against the people he knew.

"I like being the boss of you!" I said turning back to see Tyler moping behind.

"Well I hate it, can we just hurry up I feel like everyone is staring at me" 

"You're only sulking because you cant drag me off!" I chuckled but then I noticed the hurt in his expression, "Ty its ok, no one is looking at us, they're all busy eating" feeling like a massive jerk I tried to rub his shoulder sympathetically but he brushed me off.

"Can we just hurry?"

I nodded politely and allowed Tyler to walk beside me so that he didn't look so much like a lost puppy. Tyler must think that he comes off as the broody mysterious type who has a dangerous air about himself, but frankly to me he was just a lonely boy who hadn't experienced the world around him. But I'd never tell him that, I suppose he must like feeling responsible for someone else, it sort of adds meaning to a friendship he'd otherwise ignore.

"Do you want me to ask for a table, or would you like to?"

Tyler softly shook his head, "I don't mind, you can do it" his voice was still blunt but I could see the excitement in his eyes as he took in his surroundings. The restaurant was decorated in a traditional Italian style, each table with its own candle and small flower arrangement.  I could see the reflections of the flames flicker in Ty's brown eyes, he seemed so amazed.

"Do you like it here?" I said, trying to break the ice.

"It's nice enough" Tyler shrugged and turned away from the restaurant.

Nice enough?  I saw the way he was looking at the place, he loved it and he couldn't hide how he was feeling.

"There's not usually much of a wait but I guess its two people Tuesday"

"Two people Tuesday?" he said mockingly, "They couldn't find a better name for it?"

"Apparently not no, why what would you call it hm?"

"Not two people Tuesday that's for sure!"

"You cant mock it without making an alternative" I nudged Ty playfully and he smiled a little.

"I suppose you have a point, anyway what is two people Tuesday anyway?"

I grinned, "You honestly cant tell from the OBVIOUS name?" he shrugged, "Basically its like a couples meal deal, if you order a large pizza to share you get half of the price knocked off!"

"Couples meal deal?" a reddish hue had started to spread across his face.

"Yea, any two people can order you don't have to be a couple"

"Oh ok good" he murmured.

After a painstakingly awkward five minutes a waitress finally escorted us to a table secluded away at the back of the restaurant.

"I didn't know you had a boyfriend Josh" Kimya said teasingly as she gave us both our menus.

I punched Kimya in the arm gently and shook my head, "Tyler doesn't like when people tease him watch out"

"He doesn't look very scary" Kimya glanced at Tyler but he didn't look up, "So, I guess I made it awkward, well done Kimya!" she took the pen from behind her ear and whipped out her notepad, "Are you ready to order drinks?"

"Are you ready Ty?" I nudged him under the table which forced him to look up. "I'll just have a coke please" Tyler stared intently at me, it was really unnerving. "Do you want a coke too?" He kicked me back from under the table. "He's also having a coke" I smiled nervously.

"OK two cokes that is!" Kimya chimed, "I'll bring them to you and you can just call me over later when you're ready to order your meal"

"Thank you" Tyler grumbled and forced a weak smile as the waitress walked away. "How do you know her?" he asked a little harsher than he probably intended to.

"I worked here last summer as a dishwasher, nowhere else was hiring. My wages were the same as the bus ride here but my dad said it was good to get some work experience in"

"I totally pegged you as the domestic type!"

I would have usually shouted back at that but it was nice to see Ty becoming more relaxed within the conversation.

"Are you not gonna disagree or are you going to be my housewife?" he snorted, proud at the power he thought he had. I was beaming on the inside out to see him a little happy. "Hey, why are you ignoring me!" Ty shouted as he started to grow impatient. "I know that look, what are you thinking about?"

"Nothing, its just-"

"Just what?"

"If you'd let me finish I'd say it's nice to see you having fun again"

"Who says this is fun?" he said bluntly, but I could see the excitement in his tone leaking through.

"So do you think Kimya is pretty?"

"Why do you ask this about every female we encounter?" I guess because I was a little jealous of  every girl to ever exist, the idea that heterosexuality was the norm frightened me, there was no way of knowing if Ty was into guys because he wasn't into anyone.

"Don't avoid the question! What girls are you into? You didn't like Helen so I'm guessing preppy and outgoing isn't your type"

"It's not that I don't like her, I don't know her, I don't believe in love at first sight"

"Kimya, is alternative I guess if you count pastel as alternative. You not into that style?"

"Josh you're forgetting one thing"

"What's that?" I bit my lip, maybe he was going to come out ,but who was I kidding he probably wasn't comfortable enough to say something

And on that note Kimya decided to turn up with the tray of drinks,

"You had time to look at the menu yet guys?" she chirped happily, "Or have you been too busy soaking up the romantic atmosphere?" she winked, Tyler gruffly snatched a menu from the holder.