Finals: Through the Sidhe

The Tuath Dé reigned for many years, and countless great tales were crafted of their numerous exploits. However, all things end, even for the gods.

The Tuath Dé were the fifth invasion; as they had conquered the Fir Bolg, so they could not resist the might of the sixth and final invasion, the Milesians. Milesian sorcery guarded white ships as their forces approached Ériu; no magical storm or wave of Manannan mac Lir could drown their armies. When the Tuath Dé saw that they had little chance of defeating the invaders, they offered their invaders a bargain: half of Ériu would be surrendered without a fight, in exchange for the lives and autonomy of the natives. The Milesians agreed, provided that they were able to choose which half was theirs. 

After the pact was made, the Tuath Dé asked the Milesian poet Amergin which half was to be the Milesians. Amergin replied "We will take the half that is above the ground. The rest is yours."

Trapped by their own words, the Tuath Dé, led by Manannan, entered the Sidhe, the fairy hills, disappearing underground forevermore.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lan Nguyen was staring at a blank screen, unable to bring herself to say a single word.

It had been three days since the Battle of the Flowers, and she had yet to make a single entry. The lágrimas had yet to make a reappearance after it had been beaten back by the luin lilies, but the losses in the battle easily exceeded the number of colonists killed by the plague, or the number saved by the flowers. The botanist who had helped to unearth the flowers, Marielle Dupain, had been among those slain. No good deed goes unpunished, it would seem.

It had taken all her considerable self-control to not seize control of both Eden and Parthenos, imprisoning its hopelessly arrogant, bloody-minded leaders for good measure. She was still tempted to do so. The people of Danu deserved better than the likes of Thalita Moriz and Hai Chen. Instead, the  two were still at each others throats, though Reynolds in Parthenos had mentioned that Thalita was losing favor with her populace.

Lan wondered how long it would take for the colonists to overthrow their leaders of their own accord, and what would happen to the dethroned. It was a moment before she realized that she no longer cared.

In another two days, she would make her offer. She would give the 60-odd colonists remaining her choice. If they had somehow managed to keep hope, they could stay, to try and forge a new life for themselves and their children. If, like her, they tired of this world already entrenched in the cycles of the old, they could turn their faces away from it once and for all.

Lan smiled. A statue of a weeping angel would have held more joy than that expression.

A brave new world, indeed. If only the people could be brave and new as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

-Captain Nguyen has retrofitted an intact landing craft for orbital travel. She plans on going to the Ark, still in orbit above Danu, and returning to Earth.

-Your tribute must decide whether or not to join her. Although it is theoretically possible that the Ark will be able to return to Danu, it is not especially likely.

-That's it! Have fun with this entry; I have the utmost faith in your ability to take this task and make it your own.

Due Date: Monday, May 2, 2016 at 10 PM EST (I know that's long, but I have finals and moving to do. Use the time well!)