6.2 Our Kind Of A Problem

We were back at Rebecca's house. We sat in the living room and the four of us watched the security footage. "Here he comes," Rebecca said. The tape showed Zack walked to his house. "22:04, that's just after ten. You said time of death was about 10:30," Dean said.

"Our lawyers hired some kind of video expert. He says the tape's authentic. It wasn't tampered with," Rebecca replied. "Hey, Bec, can we take those beers now?" Sam asked. "Oh, sure," Rebecca said and she got up.

"Hey," Sam called again and Rebecca turned around. "Maybe some sandwiches, too?" He asked with a smile. Rebecca chuckled. "What do you think this is, Hooters?" She asked and then left. Dean chuckled. "I wish," He mumbled. Dean and I walked over to Sam. "What is it?" I asked. "Check this out," Sam said and he rewind the tape, then replay it.

One of the frames show Zack looking directly at the camera. His eyes were silver. Sam paused the tape. "Well, maybe it's just a camera flare," Dean said. "That's not like any camera flare I've ever seen," Sam said. "You know, a lot of cultures believe that a photograph can catch a glimpse of the soul," I said.

"Right," Dean said. "Remember that dog that was freakin' out? Maybe he saw this thing. Maybe this is some kind of dark double of Zack's, something that looks like him but isn't him," I said. "Like a Doppelganger," Dean said. "Yeah. It'd sure explain how he was two places at once," Sam said.

...................................

The next morning, me and my brothers got to Zack's house early in the morning. Dean parked the car behind the house and we got out. "Alright, so what are we doin' here at 5:30 in the morning?" Dean asked as he hold his coffee in his hand. "I realized something. The videotape shows the killer goin' in, but not comin' out," Sam said.

"So, he came out the back door?" I asked. "Right. So, there should be a trail to follow. A trail the police would never pursue," Sam said as he crossed the road and looked around the outside of the house.

"'Cause they think the killer never left. And they caught your friend Zack inside," Dean said and he leaned against the hood of the car. "I still don't know what we're doin' here at 5:30 in the morning," He mumbled.

I looked back at Sam and the three of us saw blood smeared on a nearby telephone pole. "Blood. Somebody came this way," I said. "Yeah, but the trail ends. I don't see anything over here," Dean said. Then we saw an ambulance drive past us, and we exchange a look and we walked to see what is going on.

We walked to the house that the ambulance drive. We saw a Asian man was handcuffed. "What happened?" Dean asked a woman that was looking at the scene as well. "He tried to kill his wife. Tied her up and beat her," She replied. "Really?" Sam asked.

The woman nodded. The Asian man was stepping into a police car as the woman said to us, "I used to see him going to work in the morning. He'd wave, say hello. He seemed like such a nice guy."

We watched the man get taken away. Me and my brothers looked at each other before Dean nodded. Sam and I walked to the side of the house, looking around. I couldn't find nothing. Then I found a trail of the back of the building.

"Hey," Dean called behind us. We turned around and looked at him. "Remember when I said this wasn't our kind of problem?" He asked. "Yeah," Sam and I said at the same time. "Definitely our kind of problem," Dean said.

"What'd you find out?" Sam asked. "Well, I just talked to the patrolman who was first on the scene, heard this guy, Alex's story. Apparently the dude was driving home from a business trip when his wife was attacked," Dean said.

"So, he was two places at once," I said. "Exactly. Then he sees himself in the house, police think he's a nutjob," Dean said. "Two dark doubles attacking loved ones in exactly the same way," Sam said. "Could be the same thing doin' it, too," Dean said.

"Shapeshifter?" I asked. Dean shrugged. "Something that can make itself look like anyone?" Sam asked. "Every culture in the world has a shapeshifter lore. You know, legends of creatures who can transform themselves into animals or others," Dean said.

"Right, skinwalkers, werewolves," I said. "We've got two attacks within blocks of each other. I'm guessin' we've got a shapeshifter prowlin' the neighborhood," Dean said.

"Let me ask you this -- in all this shapeshifter lore, can any of them fly?" I asked. My brothers frowned. "Not that I know of," Dean said. "I picked up a trail here. Someone ran out the back of this building and headed off this way," I said. "Just like your friend's house," Dean said to Sam. "Yeah," Sam said.

"And, just like at Zack's house, the trail suddenly ends. I mean, whatever it is just disappeared," I said. "Well, there's another way to go -- down," Dean said. We looked down and notice a manhole that leads to the sewer.

We climb down the sewer. Dean was first, I was second and Sam after me. We started looking around. "I bet this runs right by Zack's house, too," Sam said. "The shapeshifter could be using the sewer system to get around," I said. "I think you're right," Dean said and we saw something on the floor. "Look at this."

We bend down and examine a pile of blood and skin on the ground. "Is this from his victims?" Sam asked. Dean took out a pocketknife and hold up some of the skin. "You know, I just had a sick thought. When the shapeshifter changes shape -- maybe it sheds," Dean said. "That is just sick," I said. Dean put the bloody pile back on the ground.

We got out of the sewer to get to the car. Dean opened the trunk and took out some weapons. "Well, one thing Scar and I learned from Dad, is that no matter what kind of shapeshifter it is, there's one sure way to kill it," Dean said. "Silver bullet to the heart," Sam said with a smirk. "That's right," Dean said.

Suddenly, Sam's phone rang and he answered it. "This is Sam," He said as he walked away a bit. Dean handed me a gun and I looked at Sam before looking back at Dean. Dean closed the trunk and we watched Sam talking on the phone. I know he was talking to Rebecca.

Dean and I walked over to Sam once he put his phone back to his pocket and looked disappointed. "I hate to say it, but that's exactly what I'm talkin' about," Dean said. "You lie to your friends because if they knew the real you, they'd be freaked. It's just -- it'd be easier if --"

"If I was like you," Sam cut Dean off. "Hey, man, like it or not, we are not like other people. But I'll tell you one thing. This whole gig -- it ain't without perks," Dean said and he hold up a gun for him. Sam chuckled a little and took the gun. He put it in the back of his jeans as we walked away.