8.5 Goodbye

We were driving through Sapulpa. Dean stopped and asked a Native American man for directions. Once he directed us where to go, we thanked him and drive away.

We walked inside to a diner and spotted a Native American man playing cards at a table. "Joe White Tree?" Sam asked and the man nodded. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if that's all right," I said.

"We're students from the university," Dean said. "No, you're not. You're lying," Joe said. Dean glanced back at me and Sam and then looked back at Joe, "Um . . . Well, truth is --"

"You know who starts sentence with 'truth is'?" Joe cut him off. "Liars."

We exchanged a look before looking back at the man, "Have you heard of Oasis Plains?" I asked. "It's a housing development near the Atoka Valley," Sam added. Joe looked at me and then at Sam before looking at our older brother, "I like them," He declared. "They not liars."

I looked up at Dean and saw he looked a bit pissed. Oh man, he's gonna blow. "I know the area," Joe continued, answering my question. "What can you tell us about the history there?" Sam asked. "Why do you wanna know?" Joe asked curiously.

"Something . . . something bad is happening in Oasis Plains. We think it might have something to do with some old bones we found down there -- Native American bones," I said.

"I'll tell you what my grandfather told me, what his grandfather told him," Joe started. "Two hundred years ago, a band of my ancestors lived in that valley. One day, the American cavalry came to relocate them. They were resistant, the cavalry impatient. As my grandfather put it, on the night the moon and the sun share the sky as equals, the cavalry first raided our village. They murdered, raped. The next day, the cavalry came again, and the next, and the next. And on the sixth night, the cavalry came one last time. And by the time the sun rose, every man, woman, and child still in the village was dead."

Sam wrapped his arm tightly around my shoulder as Joe continued, "They say on the sixth night, as the chief of the village lay dying, he whispered to the heavens that no white man would ever tarnish this land again. Nature would rise up and protect the valley. And it would bring as many days of misery and death to the white man as the cavalry had brought upon his people."

"Insects. Sounds like nature to me," Dean said, looking at me and Sam before looking back at the man, "Six days," He said. "And on the night of the sixth day, none would survive," Joe finished.

After we thanked Joe, we walked out the diner and towards the car. "When did the gas company man die?" I asked suddenly. "Uh, let's see, we got here Tuesday, so, Friday the twentieth," Dean said. "March twentieth?" Sam asked and Dean nodded. "That's the spring equinox."

"The night the sun and the moon share the sky as equals," Dean said. "So, every year about this time, everyone in Oasis Plains is in danger. Larry built this neighborhood on cursed land," I said. "And on the sixth night -- that's tonight," Dean said.

We got to the car. "If we don't do something, Larry's family will be dead by sunrise. So how do we break the curse?" Sam asked. "You don't break a curse," I said. "You get out of its way. We've gotta get those people out now," Dean said. We climbed in the car and drove away quickly.

...................

It was getting dark as we were on our way to Matt's house and Dean was taking on the phone with Larry while driving. "Yes, Mr. Pike, there's a mainline gas leak in your neighborhood," Dean said and paused. "Well, it's fairly extensive. I don't want to alarm you, but we need your family out of the vicinity for at least twelve hours or so, just to be safe." He paused again, "Travis Weaver. I work for Oklahoma Gas and Power." He paused with a frown, "Uh . . ." All of a sudden, he hung up the phone.