11.1 Scarecrow

"Dad?" I asked. "Yeah, princess," Dad said. "Where are you? Are you okay?" I asked as Sam woke up and walked to my bed. "Is that Dad?" He asked and I nodded. "I'm fine, baby girl," Dad replied. "I'm miss you, and your brothers."

"We miss you too," I said and Sam grabbed the phone. "Dad? Are you hurt?" He asked. "We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay. We're fine. Dad, where are you?"

Dean woke up and sat up on his bed. "What? Why not?" Sam asked. "Is that Dad?" Dean asked. Sam didn't replied so he looked at me and I nodded. "You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mom," Sam said. "A demon? You know for sure?"

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asked. "You know where it is?" Sam asked. "Let us help. Why not?" Dean hold his hand, "Give me the phone," He said. "Names? What names, Dad -- talk to me, tell me what's going on," Sam said. "No. Alright? No way."

"Give me the phone," Dean reputed. Sam didn't listened and he grabbed the phone. "Dad, it's me. Where are you? Yes, sir. Uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?" Dean asked and Sam and I exchanged glances.

...................

It's been hours since Dad called. Now, Sam was driving the Impala, Dean was at the passenger seat and I was at the back seat. "Alright, so, the names Dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam asked. "Three different couples. All went missing," Dean replied.

"And they're all from different towns? Different states?" I asked. "That's right," Dean agreed. "You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again."

"Well, it's a big country, Dean. They could've disappeared anywhere," Sam said as I sighed. "Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another," Dean explained.

"This is the second week of April," I pointed out. "Yep," Dean said. "So, Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?" Sam asked.

"Yahtzee. Can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? All the different obits Dad had to go through? The man's a master," Dean said. I rolled my eyes and I could tell that Sam was annoyed. He pulled over the car to the side of the road and turned off the engines.

Dean looked at him, frowning. "What are you doing?" He asked. "We're not going to Indiana," Sam said. "We're not?" Dean and I asked at the same time. "No," Sam said. "We're going to California. Dad called from a payphone. Sacramento area code."

"Sam," Dean started. "Dean, if this demon killed Mom and Jess, and Dad's closing in, we've gotta be there. We've gotta help," Sam said. "Dad doesn't want our help," Dean said.

"I don't care," Sam said. "He's given us an order," Dean said. "I don't care. We don't always have to do what he says," Sam snapped. "Sam, Dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives, it's important," Dean said.

"Alright, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge," Sam said. "Alright, look, I know how you feel," Dean said. "Do you?" Sam asked and Dean was shocked at his tone and so did I.

"Sam," I warned but he ignored me, "How old were you when Mom died? Four? Jess died six months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?"

"Dad said it wasn't safe. For any of us. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don't, so if he says to stay away, we stay away," Dean said. "I don't understand the blind faith you and Scar have in the man. I mean, it's like you guys don't even question him," Sam said.

"Yeah, it's called being a good son and a good daughter!" Dean said, defending me. Sam looked angry and he climbed out of the car. "Sam," I called as I climbed out and Dean followed. We both watched Sam unloading things from the trunk.

"You're a selfish bastard, you know that? You just do whatever you want. Don't care what anybody thinks," Dean said. "That's what you really think?" Sam asked. "Yes, it is," Dean said.

"Well, then this selfish bastard is going to California," Sam said and my eyes grow wide. He was leaving? Again? I watched as Sam put on his backpack, looking at me for a moment and then started walking away.

"Sam," I called. "Come on, you're not serious," Dean said. "I am serious," Sam said. "It's the middle of the night! Hey, I'm taking off, I will leave your ass, you hear me?" Dean said and our brother stopped walking and turned around.

"That's what I want you to do," He said. "Sam, don't," I said. "Goodbye, Sam," Dean spoke after a few seconds. He closed the trunk, "Come on, Scar," He said and walked to the driver's door.

Sam and I looked at each other for a moment before walking to the passenger door. Dean and I climbed to our seats. Dean started the engines and we drive away, leaving Sam.

...................................

I was woke up by someone shaking me on my shoulder. "Scar, wake up," Dean said. I opened my eyes and saw I was in the Impala. We were parked over to the side of the road and I saw it was morning. "We here," Dean said and turned off the engines and we both climbed out.

We both walked to a place with a sign that said, "Scotty's Café." A man was sitting in a chair on the porch and we walked up to him. Dean was looking at the sign, "Let me guess." He pointed to the man, "Scotty."

The man looked at the sign and then back at Dean and me. "Yep," He said. "Hi, my name is John Bonham and this is my sister, Dawn Bonham," Dean said. "Isn't that the drummer for Led Zeppelin?" Scotty asked about Dean's lie.

"Wow. Good. Classic rock fan," Dean said. "What can I do for you, John and Dawn" Scotty asked. I pulled out two pieces of paper out of my pocket. They were the Missing Person flyers for two names, Holly and Vince Parker. "We were wondering if you'd seen these people by chance."

I handed them to Scotty and he looked at the flyers. "Nope. Who are they?" He asked. "Friends of mine," Dean said. "They went missing about a year ago. They passed through somewhere around here, and I've already asked around Scottsburg and Salem --"

"Sorry," Scotty interrupt him. I frowned and he handed the flyers back to me as he said, "We don't get many strangers around here." Dean nodded, "Scotty, you've got a smile that lights up a room, anybody ever tell you that?" Scotty stared at him strangely and Dean chuckled. "Never mind. See you around," He said.

"Sorry about him," I said as I grabbed his arm and we walked away. I looked at Dean, "You've got a smile that lights up a room?" I mocked. "Shut up," He muttered and I chuckled.