21.1 Salvation

The walls were covered with information on the yellow eyed demon. Weather charts, hieroglyphics, pictures, newspaper articles and written notes. Dean was sitting at a paper strewn desk, the Colt in front of him. Sam and I were leaning against the counter while Dean was standing beside Dad.

"So this is it. This is everything I know. Look, our whole lives we been searching for this demon right? Not a trace, just . . . nothing. Until about a year ago. For the first time I picked up a trail," Dad explained.

"And that's when you took off," Dean said. "Yeah. That's right. The demon must have come out of hiding, or hibernation," Dad said.

"All right so what's this trail you found?" I asked, crossing my arms. "It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California. Houses burned down to the ground. It's going after families, just like it went after us," Dad said.

"Families with infants?" Sam asked. Dad nodded, "Yeah. The night of the kid's six-month birthday," He replied. Sam's face showed surprise and his eyes flickered to Dean and then at me before back at Dad, "I was six months old that night?"

"Exactly six months," Dad confirmed. "So basically, this demon is going after these kids for some reason," Sam said. "The same way it came for me? So Mom's death . . . Jessica. It's all because of me?"

"We don't know that Sam," Dean said. "Oh really? Cause I'd say we're pretty damn sure Dean," Sam said, raising his voice slightly.

"For the last time, what happened to them was not your fault," Dean said, frustrated. "Right. It's not my fault but it's my problem," Sam yelled.

"No it's not your problem it's our problem!" Dean yelled back. "Okay. That's enough," Dad said, standing up. Dean and Sam stared at each other, taking a deep breath to calm down as Sam turned around.

"So why's he doing it. What does he want?" Sam asked. "Look I wish I had more answers, I do. I've always been one step behind it. Look, I've never gotten there in time to save . . ." Dad trailed off and looked down.

"All right so how do we find it before it hits again?" I asked. "There's signs," Dad started. "It took me a while to see the pattern but it's there in the days before these fires signs crop up in an area. Cattle deaths, temperature fluctations, electrical storms." Dean glanced at me and Sam before back at Dad. "And then I went back and checked . . . and . . ."

"These things happened in Lawrence," Dean said. Dad looked at him and nodded, "A week before your mother died." Then he looked at Sam, "And in Palo Alto . . . before Jessica. And these signs, they're starting again."

"Where?" I asked. "Salvation Iowa," Dad replied.

...................

We were at the road, driving at the Impala, following Dad's truck. "When can I drive again?" I spoke from my spot on the back seat. Again!

Sam and Dean suddenly chuckled. "Don't worry, you will," Dean said. I huffed, crossing my arms. "When?" I asked. "Soon," Both of them said at the same time, making me groan.

Suddenly, Dad's truck pulled off to the side of the road and Dean pulled the car off the road as well. Sam and I looked at each other, frowning before looking back to see Dad climbing out of his truck.

Dean followed and so did Sam and I. "God damn it!" Dad said. "What is it?" Dean asked. "Son of a bitch," Dad said, smashing his fist at the back of his truck.