21.2 Awake And Alive

After Dad finished his talk with Mag, he told us everything. "So you think Meg is a demon?" Sam asked. "Either that, or she's possessed by one. It doesn't really matter," Dad replied.

"What do we do?" I asked. "I'm going to Lincoln," He said. "What?" Dean asked. "It doesn't look like we have a choice. If I don't go, a lot of people die, our friends die," Dad said.

"Dad, the demon is coming tonight. For Monica and her family. That gun is all we got, you can't just hand it over," Sam said.

"Who said anything about handing it over. Look, besides us and a coupla of vampires no ones really seen the gun, no one knows what it looks like," Dad said.

"So what, you're just going to pick up a ringer at a pawn shop?" Dean asked. "Antique store," Dad said. "You're going to hand Meg a fake gun and hope she doesn't notice?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Look, as long as it's close, she shouldn't be able to tell the difference," Dad replied. "Yeah but for how long? What happens when she figures it out?" Dean asked.

"I just . . . I just need to buy a few hours, that's all," Dad said. "You mean for us," Sam said in a low voice. Dean and I looked at each other, shocked before looking at Sam and then at Dad. "You want us to stay here, and kill this demon by ourselves?"

"No Sam. I want to stop losing people we love. I want you to go to school, I want Dean to have a home. I want Scarlett to have a normal life. I want . . ." Dad trailed off, turning his back to us. "I want Mary alive." I looked down as Dad turned back to face us. "It's just . . . I just want this to be over."

...................

Dad, Sam and I were standing at the back of his truck, checking weapons at the muddy road. We turned around to see the Impala coming toward us and Dean climbed out.

"You get it?" Dad asked as he came over to us. Dean reached into his jacket and pulled out a brown paper bag. He looked down at it, then back at Dad before handing it over.

"You know this is a trap don't you," I said, shoving my hands into my jacket pocket as Dad opened the paper bag and removed a antique gun. "That's why Meg wants you to come alone?"

"I can handle her. I got a whole arsenal loaded. Holy water, Mandaic, amulets . . ." Dad listed. "Dad . . ." Dean cut him off. "What?" Dad asked.

"Promise me something," Dean said. "What's that?" Dad asked. "This thing goes south just . . . get the hell out," Dean said. "Don't get yourself killed all right, you're no good to us dead."

Dad gave a small nod, "Same goes for you." There was a long pause before he spoke again. "All right listen to me." He pulled out the real gun. "They made the bullets special for this colt. There's only four of them left. Without them this gun is useless." He looked at each of us. "You make every shot count."

"Yes sir," Sam and I said at the same time. "Been waiting a long time for this fight. Now it's here I'm not gonna be in it. It's up to you guys now. It's your fight, you finish this. You finish what I started. Understand?" Dad said, looking at each of us.

None of us spoke and after a moment of looking at each of us, Dad handed Dean the colt. "We'll see you soon Dad," Sam said. Dad smiled slightly and nodded, "I'll see you later."