9.2 Missouri

We stopped in front of a gas station and climbed out the Impala. "We just gotta chill out, that's all. You know, if this was any other kind of job, what would we do?" Dean asked and Sam and I sighed. "We'd try to figure out what we were dealin' with," Sam said. "We'd dig into the history of the house," I added.

"Exactly, except this time, we already know what happened," Dean said and Sam sat on the trunk. "Yeah, but how much do we know? I mean, how much do you actually remember?" Sam asked. "About that night, you mean?" Dean asked and Sam nodded, "Yeah."

"Not much. I remember the fire . . . the heat," Dean said and paused for a moment before looking at Sam, "And then I carried you out the front door."

"You did?" Sam asked. "Yeah, what, you never knew that?" Dean asked. "No," Sam said, shaking his head. Dean slowly nodded before continued, looking between me and Sam, "And, well, you know Dad's story as well as I do. Mom was . . . was on the ceiling. And whatever put her there was long gone by the time Dad found her."

"And he never had a theory about what did it?" I spoke up as I sat beside Sam on the trunk. "If he did, he kept it to himself," Dean replied as he turned around and sat on the trunk on my other side, "God knows we asked him enough times."

"Okay. So, if we're gonna figure out what's goin' on now . . . we have to figure out what happened back then. And see if it's the same thing," Sam said. "Yeah. We'll talk to Dad's friends, neighbors, people who were there at the time," Dean said. "Does this feel like just another job to you?" I asked as I gazed up at my older brother as Sam put his arm around my shoulder.

Sam, Dean and Dad told me a lot about Mary, Sam and Dean's mother. She sound like a good person and they told me stories about her and my mom.

Dean didn't replied my question and after a moment he said, "I'll be right back. I gotta go to the bathroom." And with that he walked away before Sam or I could say anything.

I looked up at Sam. "Sorry, I didn't meant to," I asked. He shook his head and gave me a soft smile as he wrapped his arm around me again and pulled me to a side-hug. "It's okay," He assured.

...................

"So you and John Winchester, you used to own this garage together?" Dean asked the owner if 'Guenther's Auto Repair'. "Yeah, we used to, a long time ago. Matter of fact, it must be, uh . . . twenty years since John disappeared. So why the cops interested all of a sudden?" The owner asked as his eyes trailed to me.

"Oh, we're re-opening some of our unsolved cases, and the Winchester disappearance is one of 'em," Dean replied. "Oh, well, what do you wanna know about John?" The owner asked.

"Well, whatever you remember, you know, whatever sticks out in your mind," Dean asked. "Well . . ." The owner started as he put his hands on his hips, "He was a stubborn bastard, I remember that." He laughed, "And, uh, whatever the game, he hated to lose, you know? It's that whole Marine thing." Dean and Sam nodded. "But, oh, he sure loved Mary. And he doted on those kids."

"But that was before the fire?" Sam asked. "That's right," The owner said, his smile faded. "Did he ever talk about that night?" I spoke up. "No, not at first," The owner replied. "I think he was in shock."

"Right. But eventually? What did he say about it?" Sam asked. "Oh, he wasn't thinkin' straight. He said somethin' caused that fire and killed Mary," The owner said. "He ever say what did it?" Dean asked.