Buying Cat Supplies

"I can't believe your dad kicked us out," Jade ranted as she stomped down the stairs, adjusting her bag along the way to ensure that the kittens weren't being suffocated. She stalked across the lobby and pushed open the doors, holding it open for her friend.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" Kim asked walking out the door, not bothering to look at the other girl.

"Nothing."

"Liar! What's wrong with you?" she questioned again as they crossed the parking lot.

The mall was directly across the street from the shop. It didn't take long to cross, especially during working hours when everyone was usually trapped inside. Considering that it was only 3:00, they had about an hour be for rush hour, when everyone would be on their way home.

"It's nothing. Well... it's just that I want to get to the pet store so I can get these cats out of my bag. I just don't want them to pee on anything important. I keep my best paint brushes in there," Jade whined. "Besides I don't think that a few of them like me."

"Understandable."

"AGH! I hate when you do that!"

"Do what?"

"When you give me those one worded answers."

"Oh... would you like me to elaborate?" Kim asked as she gave her best friend a sidelong glance.

"Yes." Jade threw her arms in the air in exaggeration.

Turning on her heel the ebony haired girl began to walk backwards just as they had entered the mall parking lot. "It's understandable that you would think some of the cats hate you. I mean, you did want to get rid of two of them just because they're supposedly bad luck. You wanted to name one Bluey, one Pinky, and another Lemon. Let's not forget that you insulted a few of them as well," Kim explained while waving her hands around for further emphasis.

"You insulted one too!" Jade pointed an accusing finger at her friend. "Then you practically hugged one to death. Yeah, I get that you're a sucker for injured people or animals, but don't add to their pain." Kim just stuck her tongue at her. "Real mature, Kim!"

"We're here," Kim droned.

The girls pushed through the entrance doors, and glared at each other when they got stuck in the door. Not but a few seconds later, the two found themselves being gently prodded aside by an older gentleman.

Jade grabbed a red shopping cart, and the two began taking the cats out their bags and placed them in the shopping cart. Jade started to push the cart down the aisles. She went down the cat food isle first. Skimming the various types of food she grabbed a five-pound bag. She then went further down the aisle and picked up four large food and water bowls. Going down a different isle, she picked up a box of kitty litter, making sure to got the best kind, even if it was the most expensive one on the shelf, before picking up a litter box.

It was at that moment when she was placing the litter box in the cart that she realized it was quiet. To quiet. She turned around and saw Kim running up to her with a small cardboard box in her hands and a piece of beef jerky in her mouth.

"You ditched me to go get beef jerky! Didn't you already eat some before we got here?" Jade questioned, hands on her hips. She hadn't  even realized that the other girl was gone the entire time. Did those tiny feet of hers even make a sound?

"You can never eat too much beef jerky," she muttered with a disbelieving stare. "Besides I got you some of those soft pretzel bites from that Pretzel Maker place that you love so much." Kim pulled the cup of pretzels out of the tray and held it out in front of her best friend's face all the while giving her a small smile.