Meet the 'Family'

The group of twelve made their way back to the loft. Most of them were miserable save for a few. Kim was smiling and skipping. She had had a good day. A cute guy asked her out on a date, and before that her brother apologized to her. Hana would glare at anyone who tried to talk to her. She had been forced to listen to the old hag talking nonstop for hours. Nagato and Naruto were happily chatting, telling each other about how awesome their jobs were.

Itachi was being supported by Sasuke, who was scowling under the weight of his older brother, because he still could not walk straight. In the mind of the younger brother, he kept thinking dead weight, and did not know why he found it so funny. Konan looked severely traumatized. Hinata was walking calmly behind Naruto, happily listening to him talk with his cousin. Sakura was trying to talk to Sasuke, but he scowled at her every time she tried, so she stayed quiet for the entire trip back to the loft. Jade was congratulating Deidara for teaching his first class. He had done an amazing job, and had gotten ten people to sign up for his class. Kakashi was walking behind them all reading his favorite book. He needed something to get the image of the old woman dressed in the daring lingerie out of his mind.

When they arrived, they all paused. There, sitting in the living room area with Ren, were four people that all the ninja were unfamiliar with. Kim was only familiar with the man, having met him a few times. Jade was perfectly familiar with the group of four. They were Jade's father, Logan, and his new wife, Amber, and her eighteen year-old twins, Carter and Abigail.

"Dad! What are you doing here," Jade exclaimed in her best happy voice. She had no idea why he was visiting. He usually called to check up on her, but never visited. Not since he had moved to New York.

The two had never really gotten along. It had gotten even worse when Jade's mother had died three years ago. A few months after her funeral, Logan had started seeing Amber. A few months after that they were married, and it only served to make the already large rift between them even bigger. Logan had went up to Jade one day and told her about his plan to move to New York. Jade of course had refused to go, and asked Ren if he would become her legal guardian. Ren, always having considered Jade as a daughter, agreed which angered Logan to no end.

"What, a man can't come and visit his favorite daughter," Logan said, getting up to engulf Jade in a hug. Jade stiffed when he approached her. When he moved to lift his arms up to hug her she lifted a hand to keep him at a distance. Everyone in the room could feel the nervous energy.

"I'm surprised you still consider me your favorite, much less remember who I am," Jade said in a monotone. It was true. Ever since he had gotten married to that horrible woman he had been neglecting Jade in order to spend more time with Abigail and Carter. Logan narrowed his eyes slightly.

"Jade! That is no way to speak to your father," chided Amber. She always tried to act as if she were Jade's mother. Jade didn't know why, Amber mainly wanted Logan for his money, and she got it in the end. Logan was a super successful lawyer. There had yet to be a case he had lost.

"Stop! Just stop," Jade shouted in Amber's face. "You are not my mother. You never will be my mother." With that Jade walked out of the loft.

"I'll go talk to her," Kim said, getting ready to follow after her friend. Logan stopped her, and went in search of his daughter.

"OH YEAH," Naruto shouted, jumping up startling everyone. He had slightly eased the tension that was surrounding them with his cheeriness. "Ren, I got the games you wanted, 'ttebayo." He went over to hand Ren the bag of video games. Kim just gave her father a look.

Kim and the ninja all took seats around the living room.

Abigail was eyeing Deidara, which was making him shift uncomfortably in his seat. She had seen the way her step-sister seemed to be close to him. That made her want him for herself. Everything she wanted she got, even if she had to take it away from someone.