A Walk in the Park and a Relaxing Day Off

Kazuto's p.o.v.

Asuna was asleep on the couch and I walked over to her. I knew that it wouldn't take much to wake her. This time, though, I didn't wake her up. I gently lifted her head and then placed it on my lap, making sure I hadn't pulled her hair. She stirred a little, might have woken up, but she went right back to sleep afterward. I put my hand over her hand, which was resting on her stomach under her chest. She was a little cold. I pulled a blanket off the chair next to the couch and covered her up. The air conditioner was on and it was making the room pretty cool.

Asuna wrapped herself in the blanket, then took my hand in hers and held it. I smiled, then looked at her face. I had seen so many faces, but the one that I never tired of seeing was Asuna's. She had fine porcelain skin and soft hair with long black lashes that curled just the right amount. When she blushed, it was the cutest thing and her smile could light up the universe and outshine the sun.

I used my free hand to gently caress her face, taking great care not to wake her up. Underneath her eyelids, her eyes darted back and forth. She was in a pretty deep sleep, so she wouldn't wake up even if I nudged her, but I didn't want to try waking her up. I liked watching her sleep peacefully.

Asuna's hand moved to a spot on the side of her waist, where I assumed the twins were kicking or moving. I moved my hand to rub small circles right beside hers. I could feel the soft movements of o ur children under her skin. Just being here with Asuna while she was sleeping brought me joy.

I had been thinking lately about what joy was and the difference between joy and happiness. I came to the conclusion that happiness ends, but joy lasts. I found happiness in things like having extra money in my paycheck or getting a text from my friends. I found joy in Asuna and our unborn children.

Asuna's eyes slowed and stopped moving underneath her closed eyelids. Her breathing sped up and her eyes fluttered open like little black butterflies on honey colored flowers that were her eyes. She looked around, then her eyes focused on mine and she smiled. I was already smiling, but when she looked at me, mine got wider.

"Hello.", Asuna said.

"I'm home.", I said.

"Welcome back.", she said

Asuna sat up and swung her legs off the edge of the couch and leaned on my shoulder. I hugged her around the front with my right arm while the other grabbed her hand and interlaced my fingers with hers.

"I'm glad you're back. I know why you have to go to work, but I always miss you terribly. I know that Liz is just a couple of doors down if anything happens or I just get too lonely, but I like having you as company even more.", Asuna said.

"I prefer your company as well.", I said, kissing the top of her head and resting my cheek on her.

"Well, the kids are awake.", Asuna laughed.

"Are hey hurting you?", I asked curiously.

Asuna laughed.

"No. It's not exactly comfortable, but it doesn't hurt. It's almost like having a fish swimming around in your stomach.", Asuna said, still laughing.

"That sounds a little disturbing.", I laughed.

"Well, that's what if feels like. I don't really know how to explain that to you. That was the best way I can think of so that you can understand.", she said.

"I get it, but that was a weird example.", I said.

The laughing continued for a few minutes, then eventually subsided. I switched hands so that I was hugging her from behind and my other hand was in hers. Asuna's foot nudged mine, so I nudged her back. Overall, this just turned into an all out game of footsie, which was one of the only physical games we could play anymore. We had both started laughing uncontrollably again and my side was starting to hurt from it.